Chapter 2 - The Weirdo on Maple Street - Part 1

Kitty glanced back at the boys and motioned for them to lower their flashlights slightly. Turning back to face the girl she kneeled carefully so she was more the girl's height and inched forwards slowly.

"Hey, it's okay. You're okay. We don't want to hurt you." She cooed in a calm comforting voice.

The girl seemed to relax ever so slightly but still eyed Kitty nervously.

"Hey, I bet you're cold, yeah? You want to get out of the rain? If you come with us we can get you inside, get you somewhere warm and dry, okay? Does that sound okay?" Slowly Kitty reached out her hand and held it out to the girl.

She eyed Kitty's hand suspiciously but then a loud crack of thunder boomed overhead and she glanced all around her before rushing forwards and grabbing onto her hand.

Kitty smiled warmly at the girl and slowly stood up again. "Yeah, that's right. It's okay. You're okay. No one's going to hurt you."

Kitty let go of the girl's hand briefly and reached into her jacket pocket, bringing out the spare poncho and handing it to the girl. "Here, put this on, okay? It'll keep you from getting any wetter, alright?"

The girl nodded and unfolded the poncho slowly before sliding it over her head. Kitty smiled and reached out slowly, pulling the hood over the girl's head, and then offered the girl her hand again.

The girl grabbed it tightly and held on as Kitty turned back to the boys who were standing there sharing uncertain glances and watching the girl suspiciously.

"Let's head back now, alright?"

The boys all nodded to her and stepped to the side to let Kitty and the girl pass and walk at the front of the group.

A few minutes of walking later they made it back to the roadblock. The boys all picked up and walked with their bikes and then headed back to the Wheeler's house.

"Hey, I have a change of clothes in my car she can have. You guys take the girl and keep going and I'll catch up with you, okay?" Kitty said as they passed where her car was parked.

The boys exchanged nervous glances but nodded.

Kitty turned to the girl, "Alright, you're going to go with them, okay? I need to go get something, but I won't be far behind you, alright?"

The girl nodded and Kitty walked her over to Mike. "Hey, you're going to be okay. Alright?" He spoke up, trying to ease the girl's nervousness.

Kitty smiled warmly at the two as the 4 continued up the hill to the Wheeler's house and she turned back to get the spare clothes out of her car.

Kitty carefully opened the door to the Wheeler's basement and stepped inside quietly. Just down the steps, the girl was now sitting on the couch in front of the boys.

Mike slapped Lucas's hand. "Stop it! You're freaking her out!"

"She's freaking me out!"

"I bet she's deaf," Dustin said and reached out clapping, making the girl lean back with wide eyes. "Alright, not deaf."

"Dustin!" Kitty scolded walking over to them. "Alright guys, just calm down. She's cold and scared, that's all."

The boys all nodded in understanding, stepping to the side as Kitty walked over.

A loud clap of thunder rang out and the girl jumped.

"Hey, it's okay. Here I brought some dry clothes for you." Kitty cooed and held out the spare clothes to the girl.

The girl took them carefully and wiped some of the water off her face before setting them to the side and standing up getting ready to take off the oversized shirt she'd been wearing.