Differences

Dozens, if not hundreds, of people were screaming. Some screamed in pain, others in fury. Trash cans and cars were set alight, the fires blazing bright enough to blind anyone who looked directly at it and hot enough to create a wide berth around the fires. Smoke permeated the air, choking those who weren't careful enough to avoid it. Some people carried signs, and others carried wounds that were freshly bleeding. The police were scattered throughout the opposing crowds, trying their best to keep people from reaching the other side and starting a fight. It was the collision of two opposing forces that resulted in an explosion of violence and chaos.

Vermillion stood on the roof of a building that overlooked the riots. A rush of rage and panic spread throughout his body like adrenaline, thousands of thoughts telling him to get involved and stop the butchering of his people. A handful of thoughts kept him standing on that roof. Vermillion was well aware that things would get bad for him if he got involved. He would be letting the entire world know that he was back in action, and this meant that several people he didn't want to know would find out. That thought didn't hold him back because he couldn't find it in himself to care. He would fight his own battles when they came to him. He had been postponing the inevitable long enough. He would risk his safety for that of the district he had chosen to protect all those years ago.

No, the thoughts that turned his feet into lead was the knowledge that his involvement probably wouldn't do anything. The people of Logstedshire would listen to him if he told them to go back. It was the other group from L'Manberg that wouldn't listen to Vermillion. They would continue to fight and riot, and Vermillion knew that he couldn't fight hundreds of innocent civilians. That would only put a bad light on Logstedshire, and Vermillion couldn't allow anyone to have ammunition against the victims of this hate crime. He knew the legal courts would do everything in their power to make Logstedshire the initiators of this. Vermillion couldn't be the key piece of evidence for that case.

Vermillion couldn't stand it, though. He hated looking down at his people. He hated knowing that it truly wasn't their fault, but them getting punished anyway. They were suffering for reasons beyond their control. It wasn't fair. Vermillion was no stranger to the cruelty of the world, but didn't the people of Logstedshire deserve a moment of rest from all their bad luck? How far down must they be dragged before fate decided to leave them alone, or better yet, give them a little hope and prosperity? Vermillion had watched Logstedshire suffer hate crimes for years, and it never got easier. It never felt like the inevitable. Vermillion, stupidly, still believed that one day the people of the other districts would at least tolerate Logstedshire's existence. His childish, naive hope was the weapon that drew the most blood from his heart.

Vermillion growled as he jumped down to the ground, throwing caution and reason to the winds that softened his descent. He landed in the center of the street, in between both of the groups. Vermillion raised his hand, and a spinning wall of wind surrounded the people of Logstedshire. Even though it blurred their features, Vermillion could see the happiness in their eyes and smiles on their faces. Vermillion looked back at the rioters from L'Manberg. They stared at him with a confused expression. Most of them did look like they hated them, but it was more like the natural hate of the unknown. He was a variable they hadn't expected. He looked like a hero and used his powers as easily as one did. They didn't recognize him, and they certainly didn't understand why he took Logstedshire's side. Even the police seemed a little confused. They whispered to each through their walkie talkies, trying to figure out Vermillion's name.

"People of L'Manberg, I understand your frustration, but violence is not the fucking answer here. What happened today was not the hybrid's fault. I am working on fixing the issue, so let's all calm down and go home," Vermillion yelled out to the people. Vermillion was good at saving lives, defeating bad guys, and cleaning up. He was terrible at rousing speeches and talking to people in a dignified manner. He could keep his cursing to a minimum, but he always accidently slipped one in when he was trying not to say one.