Family

Vermillion stands on the docks of the Antarctic district. The waters closest to the land are thinly frozen, but the water immediately surrounding the docks are lapping quietly against the hulls of the many ships. Vermillion feels a resolute chill shake throughout his body as he walks to the very edge of the thinnest and smallest dock. A small sailing boat is tied to one of the pillars holding the dock up with thick rope. Vermillion stands right beside the pillar. He grabs hold of the fisherman's knot. He tugs at the rope in different spots. He loosens the knot, but he is unable to make the knot come undone. Vermillion huffs a sigh, tempted to use his powers to make the process easier. He knows that he can't if he wants to power the sailing boat for an extended period of time, but the urge grows stronger when the knot refuses to abide by his whims.

He didn't have time to deal with stubborn knots. He needed to leave now. It had taken Vermillion an entire half day to give Blaze, Nemesis, and Ankh the slip. They persistently tried sticking close to Vermillion. He didn't exactly blame them. He was a serious flight risk. Even still, he disliked it because it was extremely annoying to be escorted around like he was a petulant child.

Well, there was another reason he hated it. He couldn't stand the warm memories that spun in his mind at being around them. Nemesis wrapped Vermillion up in several blankets. She personally wiped his face of ash and blood that was apparently all over him with a wet cloth. Blaze made sure to make Vermillion a helping of eggs with all of the vigilante's favorite toppings. Blaze even ate with Vermillion, making certain the vigilante didn't throw away his plate when he was halfway done. Blaze commented that Vermillion looked thinner than usual, and he didn't laugh when Vermillion made a joke about Blaze's weight. Ankh cleaned Vermillion's daggers. When he was returning them, he placed his hand over Vermillion's with a kind smile. Ankh's powers activated, and Vermillion was filled with a buzz not dissimilar to espresso. It cleared his head immediately and charged his body with energy. Vermillion had been unable to show gratitude to any of them. In fact, he repaid their kindness by leaving the very second they all turned away from him.

Vermillion sighed again. His arms felt heavier than lead. He dropped the knot, watching it pull taut as the boat tried to float away. Vermillion lifted his head. He looked out at the horizon. There was an island way off the coast. It was a mere shadow on the skyline, not worth paying attention. Vermillion stared at it intently. He needed to be on that island. He should have already been on that island. He should have marched away from the heroes instead of letting them reclaim what little of their relationship that was salvageable. Instead, he selfishly remained behind because ever since the day he walked away from them, he missed them. He wanted them back so much that it physically hurt him. His heart thudded in his chest, twisting in a way that he imagined a heart attack might feel. His hands shook, itching to reach out and have someone grab hold of him. Vermillion always thought that nothing was worse than grieving a dead person, but he was finding out that it was much harder on his soul to grieve someone who was still alive. It was difficult to grieve his own death.

Vermillion pretended that the tears in his eyes were because of the sharp wind starting to blow from the ocean to the coast. He reached up with his gloved hands to wipe the tears away, letting his hands drop away when more tears replaced the ones he tried to wipe away. Vermillion felt his lips trembling, and before he could stop himself, he was sobbing. He placed a hand over his mouth to muffle his audible sadness. It worked, and his mind took that as a sign that he could now let everything he's been holding back out. Vermillion knew that he should get to that island, but his knees were locking together just to keep him standing. He wouldn't be able to control the wind in the state he was in, let alone fight.

"I am sure that I've told you before that I hate the cold weather," A voice called out. Vermillion's eyes widened as he whirled around. He grabbed hold of the wooden pole to keep himself from falling into the water. He clung to it with both of his arms as he watched someone step onto the dock. They continued walking towards him, the wood creaking beneath their feet. Vermillion tried to hide the fact that they were crying as the person stood in front of him. They slowly opened their arms to him. "But I've also told you that I would go anywhere in the world for you."