CH3 : ESQUELETO

Roman stood in the kitchen, boiling water for his noodles. Johnny had been out all day giving lessons to Miguel.
"Pot noodles for the second meal in a row, not a problem.." Roman sighed, dishing it up as Johnny walked in the door.
"He's arrived home, what a miracle." Roman looked at Johnny.
"Don't give me that, you know I've been busy.' Johnny rolled his eyes and tossed his coat over the arm of the couch.
"You've invested more time in some kid you don't know that your own personal life and son." Roman looked away and ate his noodles.
"You don't have a reason to be mad. I'm home when you get up and before you go to bed. You're not supposed to be the one telling me what to do, that's my job." Johnny opened a beer and turned the TV on.

Roman rolled his eyes and left, going for a skate through the neighborhood. The street was lit up by tall street lamps. They weren't flickering so that probably means he's reaching the hills, aka the rich kid area.

Roman snapped out of his thoughts when he had crashed into something, or someone.. He took a second to focus on what had happened. A brown haired girl stared back at him.
"I'm sorry about that.. I wasn't watching where I was going.." He laughed awkwardly.
"Uhm, It's fine.. Don't worry about it." She smiled in return, she had a kind smile. Forgiving.
"I'm Roman.." He smiled back.
"Samantha, Sam.." She adjusted her bag on her shoulders.
"Nice meeting you, Sam."
"You too, Roman.."
They exchanged smiles again and parted their ways, he continued his skating and she continued her walk. Neither of them turned to look back.

----

The next day, Johnny walked into the apartment. He was still in his gi, Miguel followed behind him.
"What's going on?" Roman looked at Johnny.
"High school dance." Johnny walked into his room.
"Last time I checked they don't take place in our house." Roman rolled his eyes, shutting the book he was holding.
"He needs desperate costume help." Johnny opened a box, handing a skeleton costume from when he was a teenager.
"Go and get changed, I'll paint your face when you come back out." Miguel nodded and walked away.

"What is your problem with him?" Johnny crossed his arms.
"I have no problem with him." Roman looked at Johnny.
"Cut the crap, Roman. You have an issue with him and it's so obvious."
Johnny narrowed his eyes.
"Well maybe it's because my dad cares more about some stupid karate student than his own son, who he has pretty much neglected since you met him." Roman's brows furrowed.
"Whatever Roman, grow up. You know that I care about you, don't start this bullshit.' And that was it. It was at this moment that Roman knew he wouldn't win this argument, or be number one over Miguel. It was just the beginning, yet it was so clear.

Johnny painted Miguel's face and sent him to wait in the car.
"I need you to go to this stupid party, watch out for him. Those kids at the mini-mart are still giving him a hard time. I'll be there later.."
"I'm not babysitting." Roman crossed his arms.
"I'm not asking you to babysit, I want you to go with him. When you get there you can do what you want. I couldn't give a shit, okay?" Johnny looked at Roman.
"Fine, whatever.." Roman gave up, walking to his room to change.

By the time he raided his wardrobe he looked like John Bender out of the breakfast club. A white t-shirt under and red checkered shirt, layered with an old worn denim jacket. Black trousers and shoes etc.

Miguel and Roman arrived, walking through the foggy entrance.
"I'm getting punch, do what you want." Roman walked away as Miguel walked over to his friends, Demitri and Eli.
Roman walked over to the punch stand, pouring himself a cup. He sipped it and turned, watching everyone dancing and talking.

Roman looked to the person getting punch next to him. It was the brown- haired girl from the night he went skating.

"Hey, stranger." Roman looked at Sam, smirking slightly.
"Hey, Roman.. Right?" Sam turned to face him.
"Yeah. You like the Lakers?" Roman gestured to Sam's costume.
"It was my friends idea." Sam looked away slightly.
"Fair enough."

"How come I've never seen you around school before? I didn't realize you went here." Sam looked back at Roman.
"That's because I don't."
"Explains it. How'd you even get let in here?" Sam tilted her head slightly.
"I have my ways." Roman smirked as Sam's friends called her over to go live.
"I like your costume by the way. John Bender, Babysitters Club. It's a classic." Sam smiled as she walked away and over to her friends.

Roman made his way around the room, talking to a few people here and there. Looking at Sam when she was looking at him.. before she wasn't.. Dragged away playfully into the corridor by Kyler. Of all people. The dickhead from the mini-mart.

What is a girl like Sam doing with a guy like Kyler?

Before long Sam was running back inside, back towards her friends. Had he done something? She seemed urgent but when she walked to her friends for support she was recording some girl at the buffet. Moments later everyone was checking their phone and all drawing their attention to the buffet. Pig oinks broke out across the room. The girl became embarrassed and ran out of the room.

Sam walked away from her friends and was making her way over to Roman.
"Don't suppose you brought a car with you?" She sighed, looking up at me. Her tone was jokey but her expression showed me that she was desperate to leave.
"No. But I can walk you back. It's no issue.."
"Are you sure? I don't want you to go out of your way."
"It's fine. Don't worry." Roman and Sam left.

----

"So, if you don't go to West Valley, where do you go?" Sam looked at Roman whilst they walked. It had been nice, they'd been getting to know eachother.
"I don't go to Highschool. Got a job at the start of last summer. I work the bar at the Encino Oaks Club."
"Really? My family and I go there all the time." Sam smiled. Roman had known her for a few days, but personally? 20 minutes, yet he already loved her smile and she brought out his.

"You live in the hills.. What's it like?"
Roman looked at the nice houses with their perfect front yards.
"It's good.. I mean I'm lucky to live where I do. It's beautiful."  Sam sighed.
"What about you? What's it like growing up downtown?"
"Pretty much how it looks.. Easy to get by if you watch yourself. Always watching you back, never fully trusting everyone. Learn to fight or your pretty much screwed." Roman looked away at the street ahead of them.
"You can fight? What do you do?" Sam exclaimed.
"Yeah. Karate.. Old-school."
"Really? Me too.." She smiled again.
"No way.." Roman shook his head in disbelief.
"Uh huh." Sam crossed her arms, smirking.
"Show me some moves then." He laughed, smirking slightly.

They were stood on a stretch of green when they both got into fighting stances.
Sam went to punch him and kick him but Roman blocked easily.
"Don't go soft on me, Sammy." Roman challenged. She continued, each attacking and blocking eachother.

At the next opening he got Roman had pulled Sam onto the floor, pinned by the shoulders.
"Not too shabby, Princess." They both breathed heavily, catching their breath.

"Want some advice?" Sam raised a brow at Roman. "Never let your guard down." She smirked before jabbing his side and ended up on top, switching their positions. She sat down on his stomach.
"You put up a pretty good fight too, pretty boy." Sam smirked. Their breathing was still heavy as they both went to lean in before a car sped past, ruining the moment.

"Best get you home then.." Roman sighed.
"Yeah.." Sam stood and the rest of the walk was silent.

If that car hadn't come along would it have happened.?

--------------------

A/N : Hope you enjoy this chapter. I'm so excited to work on Sam and Roman's dynamic and grow their relationship. I might not upload for a while I'll have to see as I have started back at school and a bit busy with homework but I'll try my best. Love you all and thank you for the support. If you have any thing you want to see in this story, either comment or message me. <3

Words : 1,384