CH4 : COBRA KAI NEVER DIES

"Thanks for the ride." Roman got out of Jax's car.
"You know if your working in the hills, it's probably better to invest in a car." Jax looked up at Roman through the lowered window.
"I can't afford it. Besides, walking sometimes isn't that bad. I appreciate it though man. Thanks again." Roman walked away as Jax drove off.

Roman unlocked the door to the apartment, pausing when he saw Johnny on the floor with beer cans everywhere.
"Good one.." Roman started picking up the cans and chucking them in the bin when Johnny's phone rang.
Johnny groaned and started to gain consciousness when Roman pciked up the phone, answering.
"Hello?"
"Mr Lawrence? This is Ms. Jenkins, the Vice Principal at Robby's school. We spoke a couple months ago."
Johnny looked at him.
"Who is it?" He asked.
"No one, shh.."

Roman walked out and stood outside the apartment.
"Sorry, Right. Yeah, hi. I remember."
Roman leant against the wall.
"I'm sorry if I'm interupting the big canoe trip." The woman spoke.
"Canoe trip?"

What was this woman talking about?

"As much as I appreciate a boy and his family bonding on the mighty Colorado, your note said he'd be gone two weeks and it's been almost a month." There was a moment of silence before she spoke again.
"I'm sure it's easy to loose track of time on the river, I grew up on the Mississippi Delta, but if your son's not back in school this week we'll have to discuss holding him back."
Roman sighed.
"Don't worry, he'll be there.." Roman hung up.

Roman poked his head back inside.
"I'll be back later, need to do something. You going to be alright?" Roman looked at Johnny. He was a mess, he looked tired. He's wearing the same clothes he was yesterday and reeks of beer.
"Have a shower while I'm out. Sober up." Roman walked back out and shut the door behind him.

----

Roman pulled up in Johnny's car outside of Robby's apartment block, walking inside. Roman stood and knocked on the door waiting. After a few minutes Roman gave up and kicked the door open.

"Sorry to interrupt your circle jerk." Roman looked at the two boys behind Robby and then at Robby.
"What the hell? Don't you knock?" Robby stood up, narrowing his eyes.
"I've been knocking for five minutes. You couldn't hear me over that trash in your boom box."
"What the hell's a boom box?" One of Robby's friends piped up.
"What the hell's that thing on your face." Roman rolled his eyes and focused his attention on Robby again.
"What are you doing here?" Robby asked, his tone was angry.
"Dad got a call from your principal. He's too busy to be dealing with this Robby. Does mom know about our supposed trip to Colorado?"
"Well, I had no idea what a real family bonding trip looked like so I had to use my imagination." Robby smirked.
"If it makes you feel better, next time, you and Dad can pick where we don't go." Robby's smirk faded and he sat back down.

"This isn't about us. This is about the fact you should be in school, not wasting your life hanging around with these jackholes."
"Hey, screw you man." The other friend said, looking at Roman.
"Screw you." Roman rolled his eyes.
"Is mom around?" Roman asked but got answered with silence. "No? Of course she's not. It's three in the afternoon. It's happy hour somewhere." Roman said,trying to get a rise out of Robby so he'd acknowledge him. It worked.
"Don't." Robby gritted through his teeth.
"Don't talk about our mom like that." They were stood close, if either got a big enough rise out of one another. Let's just say it would be messy.

"Look, I get it. School can be a drag. But you've got your whole future ahead of you." Roman put his hands in his pockets.
"Ooh. Does that mean I can grow up and have my own strip mall karate school like dad?" Robby said sarcastically. His friends snickered.
"We're not talking about Dad. We're talking about you, alright?" Roman sighed.

"Let's put this into perspective. You hate me because I'm living with Dad. I get to spend my time with him and you don't. You're jealous so you put that into anger towards us. 'I hate my dad. I hate my brother. I hate, I hate, I hate.' and you berate Dad because he's not earning top dollar at some fancy job. We've not got a lot but we're making the most of it. Dad started that karate dojo to help some kid he didn't know. And as much as I'm hypercritical here, telling you to go to school when I'm not enrolled in a school either, but at least I have a job and I'm making a source of income to support myself. Unlike you. You're sitting around all day with these losers, watching videos of women online and wasting your own time. So I'm sorry if me coming here and telling you to get it together and 'not follow in our dad's footsteps' isn't what you wanted."
"What? Like Dad's pal, Daniel LaRusso?" Robby smirked.

"Whatever, Robby. I came here, out of my way to try and sort this out so you wouldn't have to put up with it from Dad. Go to school, or don't. I don't care anymore. I've tried talking to you and you're too stubborn to listen."

"Exactly. That's it. You and Dad don't care so we can cut this short and you can just leave. I'm not going to school. I'm done. And mom's okay with it, so we're good. You can get off my case and leave."
Roman hesitated before walking out. Robby followed and slammed the door behind him.

----

Roman and Johnny stood in the dojo office clearing boxes when Miguel walked in.
"My mom says I can train again!"
"She did?" Johnny walked out, standing in the doorway.
"Yeah. I mean, if we still have the dojo.."
"We do, for now." Johnny walked over to Miguel. "But I need to know, are you ready to take things to the next level?"
"Yes, Sensei." Miguel nodded, smiling.

Roman and Miguel stood opposite each other, Johnny walked around them while he spoke.
"Miguel, You got your ass kicked because you didn't have any defense. So I'm going to teach you the best defense you can know." He said, smirking slightly.
"And the best defense is.." Johnny looked at Roman. "Hai." Johnny said sharply, Roman followed by snapping into a fighting stance, inches away from Miguel.
"More offense."

--------------------

A/N : Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Robby and Roman are going to have a bit of a rocky relationship, a lot like Johnny and Robby. I'll try and upload tomorrow but I will have to see. <3

Words : 1,115