eighteen.

MAD WOMAN | xviii.
"I WAS DEAD IN THAT UNIVERSE"
Rhode Island | 2025

"Can I take this blindfold off now?" America asks as she reaches around her, trying to find something to hold on to and stabilize herself.

"Go ahead," Wanda instructs. America wastes no time as she unties the blindfold and opens her eyes, adjusting to the light. Once her vision adjusts, her jaw drops as she looks at what is before her.

America spins and looks at Wanda and Athena, "This is mine?"

"All yours," Athena answers with a smile, "We didn't decorate or anything because we figured that you'd want to do it, but please think long term with your wall color. That weird teal is cute but you'll regret it when you're-"

Athena doesn't get the chance to finish her sentence as America rushes toward her, wrapping her arms around Athena's waist in a tight embrace.

"Thank you so much," America says.

"Hey," Wanda says, "I was the one who did all of the work!"

Athena rests her chin on the top of America's head as she hugs her back, "I hate to admit it, but Wanda did do most of the work, but I supervised and made sure she did a good job so technically I did this."

"Technically you did nothing!" Wanda exclaims as she holds her arms open, "America, come give me a hug!"

"No," Athena says as she hugs America tighter, making the teen giggle, "My America."

Wanda rolls her eyes, "Ugh you're so annoying."

Athena sticks her tongue out at Wanda in a childish manner before smiling and burying her face in America's hair as she hugged her. America had adopted many of their mannerisms and habits. A thing that she'd mimicked was Athena's mischievous nature.  Without even knowing that Athena had stuck her tongue out at Wanda, she does so herself.

Wanda had been annoyed when Athena had completed the action but seeing America do it warmed her heart. She wasn't theirs, she looked nothing like them, and yet at the same time she did because she had begun to act like them.

"What about a pastel blue?" America asked as she looked up at Athena.

Athena looks at the walls and nods her head, "We can do a pastel blue."

"And a bookshelf?" America asks.

"Do you plan on reading or is it for decoration?"

"Both," America answers.

"Good answer!" Athena exclaims with a smile. She looks over at Wanda who was watching them. She rolls her eyes playfully as she nudges America over in Wanda's direction.

"You should hug Wanda too. She looks like she's about to cry."

Wanda narrows her eyes at Athena, "I am not about to cry. I would just like to be appreciated, that's all."

America grins as she hugs Wanda, "Thank you so much."

Wanda's expression softens as she looks at the young teen, "You're welcome."

"So!" Athena exclaims clapping her hands together, "Now would be a good time to express that at the age of ten I almost went to school for interior design."

"At ten?" America asks.

"Yeah, I graduated school a lot faster than most people because I'm a genius and they're not," Athena states.

"And you were going to use your genius in interior design?" America follows up.

"I was ten!" Athena exclaims.