More Than Face Value

~~~~

December 15th, 2027

3:15pm

Detention Center - Visiting Chamber #4

~~~~

Apollo Justice was trying his very best not to storm through the Detention Center. Apollo Justice was trying his very best not to tremble as he awaited the inmate he was visiting. Apollo Justice was trying his very best not to blurt everything out as said inmate came strolling into the opposite side of the chamber.

Apollo Justice was trying his very best to be fine, because he suspected his girlfriend of murdering his best friend.

"Ah, Mr. Justice. I was not expecting you to come by." He felt his old mentor scan him over and suddenly became a little more aware of the small mark Athena had left on his neck earlier. Sure, she was most definitely unconscious when it happened, but she also wasn't kind enough to make it more accident-like and less... suggestive. He should probably stop thinking about it before he starts drawing more attention. "What happened? Your eye, and isn't that Mr. Terran's work jacket?"

"It's just a sty. Nothing much, just hurts." He needn't be dramatic now, because Kristoph didn't need theatrics for the story to sell. In all honesty, Apollo felt badly for initiating the ruse so dramatically. However, he needed Athena to be fooled; he couldn't let her know he suspected her. He kept his eye covered, wouldn't let her look, as he enthused her about why he'd been hiding it thus far from her; that he believed it appeared due to his stress of losing her the night before. He was pretty sure she wasn't going to fall for it, but then her face fell softly with concern, and she wrapped him up herself and muttered of techniques she'd heard in graduate school of treating such ailments. Her hands were so gentle on his head, even though calluses new and old scratched his skin. The kiss she blessed the bandages with as she secured them in back instantly made him feel guilty, but not enough to confess.

If he was to confess his guilt to that one incident, it would come at a later date. He wanted to beg and plead, that he'd be blessed with the demand to confess he'd been wrong in suspecting her, that she was a spotless angel who just was a bit down on her luck.

But the hammering feeling he could be completely wrong struck through him. "Something terrible's happened... and I suspect someone important to me is to blame."

"Oh? And why does this bother you so? You were willing to turn on me so easily."

"I know, it's just... this person is... very important to me. One of the most important people to me. I want to believe in them... but I know they're lying... if what I suspect actually happened..."

"What is it you really seek, Justice? Are you looking to absolve this 'special someone' of yours? Are you looking for some sort of vengeance? Validation? Or are you looking for truth, no matter the cost? Each one of us has our own ulterior motive. You must choose yours. In order to find any answers, you must decide. The answers will come to you in time, and if you want truth, you must be unrelenting in pursuit. Remember what I taught you? Evidence-"

"...Is everything... I remember. How could I forget?" He clenched his teeth to bite back the tears. "I trusted you... I trusted you, and you betrayed me!"

"None of it was about you, Justice... I never meant for you to get involved."

He quivered and before long a healthy stream of tears came leaking through both eye and bandage. "W-why did you... why did he... why did she...?" His voice became curled up into a miniscule fraction of himself as he scraped his one good eye dry. "Why can't I...?"