The Fall of Courtroom Number Four

December 15th, 2027

11:39pm

GYAXA - Cosmos Space Center - Terran Residence

~~~~

It had taken all of his restraint to keep from crying as he left the Wright Anything Agency. How he made it all the way to Clay's apartment at GYAXA before breaking down was beyond him.

He felt so much. Those were the only words he could describe.

To lose Clay so suddenly, so violently, on what should have been the day his dream was realized was already too much. To become more and more suspicious of Athena wielding the knife which took him pushed Apollo completely over the edge.

He was angry at himself. He'd found Athena suspicious from the moment he first laid eyes on her, felt something wasn't quite kosher with the young lady. But he shoved it all aside, said she was fine. He denied himself and trusted her, grew close to her, fell in love with her... planned a future with her.

It was foolish, especially for someone with his past. Why would she stay when all others had left?

Maybe it was because she was broken, more so than he. She had some sort of back problem, had problematic lungs and was prone to violent nightmares. Why would she leave when they were better off together than apart?

It couldn't have been her. He knew her. She was a bit rough-and-tumble sure, but she'd never kill someone, right? Especially his best friend?

She'd been so excited to meet Clay, to know the people who mattered most in his life. It had given him hope, hope she wouldn't leave. Truth be told, he hadn't originally wanted to have her and Clay meet so soon because, well, meeting Clay was his equivalent of meeting one's parents. Yet, every time he mentioned talking about her with him, her eyes lit up and she hopped in the conversation with so much vigor. Eventually, he agreed, and Clay looked forward to meeting her too. Clay was glad for him, that he'd found someone to trust in, to maybe have a family with.

Maybe she was just as afraid of being left behind as he was, maybe she wanted to meet Clay because she understood the significance and wanted the security of such a serious relationship. Her uncle was in prison; her mom had apparently died long ago; and whatever Aura was, she didn't seem to want anything to do with her. She seemed just as alone as he. Maybe Clay was to her what his guardian status was to him: something that tied them to each other, but wasn't quite as socially heavy as a ring. Maybe they were both afraid of being betrayed once again.

He hugged Clay's jacket close. He wanted his input. Clay wouldn't have steered him wrong, Clay would have helped.

Kristoph had said to choose his ulterior motive. He found himself suffocated by the decision. Clay deserved for him to chase the truth of the tragedy with no hesitation. He'd been the only person ever who hadn't betrayed him, and his best friend for life deserved the truth of his last moments as Apollo began to live on without him.

Athena was a kindred soul. Though she hadn't been betrayed, she definitely was alone. And in the loss of Clay, he wanted to fight to keep her. Perhaps more than her specifically, he wanted to prove he wouldn't betray as he'd been so many times.