Chapter Six

Chapter Six

I stared out the window, only scarcely catching sight of civilization. As the hours past, we drove further and deeper from society. The tall houses and buildings slowly disappeared until there was nothing but grass, dirt and soil. Curiosity floated in my mind and although I was aching to ask Dean where we were heading, I didn't allow myself to do so. Instead, I continued to peer out the window, pretending all was well.

The drive finally came to an end when Dean pulled into, what looked to be, a secluded factory. I took in the decaying cement and rusted metal that barricaded the building. The place looked as though it hadn't seen life in years. Even the surrounding land looked like a deserted wasteland. As I stared at the abandoned building, I felt a shred of unease sweep over me. I didn't have the time to think further as the abrupt sound of the door slamming shut startled me out of my thoughts.

Dean walked around the car and approached the passenger side, opening the car door. I hesitated, but at length left the car. As I went to past him, Dean brusquely grabbed my arm and pressed me against the car. I was forced to meet his intense gaze full on and felt the air in my lungs grow heavy.

"Behave," The sinister sound of his voice had my heart skip a beat, as I wondered what Dean could possibly be planning. "Understood?"

Mutely, I nodded my head, before quickly fixing my mistake. "Yes," Dean's eyes lit up, faintly.

Without releasing his hold on my arm, we entered the abandoned factory. My gaze fell on two guards standing at the entrance of the rotting building, each equipped with deadly weapons on their waist holster. The minute they spotted us, they slightly bowed their heads in greetings and returned to their stiff stature. Dean didn't acknowledge the salute and continued inside the building. Upon our entrance, my eyes instantly took in over a dozen men. Those who were seated, stood from the comfort of their seats, and like the two guards at the entrance, each bowed their heads briefly as if someone of royalty had entered the room.

My mouth parted in shock, as I first handedly witnessed the amount of respect and influence Dean commanded. Even the most hardened of criminals seemed to bow before him. I tried to shake the feeling of unease that crawled up my spine, as I scanned the faces of the men surrounding us. Each man looked like they could crush me into dust with their bare hands, and yet they all seemed to obey Dean without question. Everyone in the room could sense the danger that lurked behind his handsome appearance. Even I was not foolish enough to completely disregard the intimidating atmosphere.

A man with a heavy build approached Dean. "It's ready, sir."

Dean hummed, before his eyes moved to someone amongst the men. "Williams," My eyes followed his line of vision and landed on a familiar figure. The air harshly released from my chest as I peered at the man, who had stepped forward, in confusion. "Is it done?"

"It's all taken care of."

"Captain..." My voice trailed off in disarray. The captain of the police station, Henry Williams, looked at me as if it took him a moment to realize who I was.

"Maria Holland," He remembered. "How are you?" I opened and closed my mouth, as no words formed.

"What are you doing here?" I finally asked.

"Well... I work for Mr. Garnet." My breath hitched in my throat as I felt like I had been punched in the gut.

"You're a cop." The sound of my disbelief was hardly above a whisper. "You're supposed to protect us from people like him."