♔︎ Chapter 2

World's Smallest Violin

-----

"Ladies and gentlemen! Boys and girls! Citizens of all ages! The show is about to begin in five minutes!" the ringmaster yelled, attracting customers with their enthusiastic children into the circus tent. He looked just as strange as the workers inside the circus, the clowns and such, but unlike them, he was around his 30s.

Y/N chewed off her last piece of cotton candy, tip-toeing to throw away the white stick.

Even at the age of 5, she was still smarter than others around her. It's understandable since the other children couldn't afford luxurious things, even studies.
In fact, the theme park she and her nanny was at, wasn't really that expensive.

It was also built by her own family as to entertain the kids there. But, obviously they had to pay.

"Lily, look! A circus," she ran towards her nanny excitedly as she pointed her tiny finger to the tent.

Lily dropped her gaze from her smartphone, looking at the huge circus tent nearby them.

"You wanna watch the show?" she asked Y/N calmly while placing her mobile phone into her bag, careful as to not attract any pick-pocketers. For a miserable town like Little Town, pick pockets were commonly known and the authorities did exactly nothing about it.

Well, unless it had something to do with rich and widely known people.

Y/N nodded eagerly,"I finished my cotoon candy too!" she said, mis-pronouncing the word cotton absentmindedly.

Lily straightened her lips into a thin line, slightly shivering,"Dear, why not we go somewhere else..."

The 5 year old frowned.

"왜 그래요?" [Wae geu-rae yo // What's wrong?]

Lily stared at the petite child in front of her, sighing. She bent down to match the kids' height before patting her head lightly,"Lily's just... A bit scared of the loud noises.."

Y/N smiled softly,"That's alright!! Don't worry, I'll protect you!"

The nanny sat there, contemplating whether she should bring Y/N into the circus tent or go home. Even if she did the second option, she knew Y/N wouldn't be mad or irritated. Of course she'd understand why she preferred to go home.

But, it had been years since her childhood life, and perhaps it was time for her to try to make her fear disappear.

"Show's starting in two minutes, fellas! Don't waste your time, two tickets for the price of thre- I mean one!" the ringmaster's voice was heard once again, causing the little girl to panic in fear the tickets might be finished and she won't get a chance to watch the show.

"제발.. I promise I'll keep you safe!," she pouted. [Jebal // Please]

Lily blinked. She looked at the sky above them, it was almost nighttime.

"Okay..," Y/N grabbed her hand playfully and ran towards the entrance of the tent, where the ringmaster was promoting and guarding. They would usually have to pay after finished, so she was only aiming for the entrance which was covered by the red tent's curtain.

But she was stopped when the ringmaster placed a hand on the entrance as if to refuse them from going into the tent.

"Wait a minute.. You..," he pointed the other hand's index finger to Y/N. He was staring strangely at the girl, not in a perverted way. It was more of a confused expression.