ii.

" in vegas i feel so at home "

as the pace shifts into gear from busy and densely occupied los angeles to the not as compact but still bustling city of sin that's consumed by light and shadows,

she settles in his passenger side. "we're seriously gonna drive all the way up there?"

abel turns to his friend in playful surprise. "don't tell me you wanna waste jet fuel on a 45 minute flight?"

"and a 4 hour car ride, you're forgetting that part!" she whines, looking off to the side

"can't tolerate me for that long or something?"

"absolutely the fuck not." she leans her head against the passenger window. "and why'd we have to leave at buttfuck o' clock at night?"

"to beat traffic." he shrugs.

"it's the 3rd day of march- aint shit goin on!"

"y/nn it's vegas it's always busy whenever the sun is out. plus when we get there it'll be like 2am, peak timing."

"oh my god." she groans and drops it. to which he replies with a devilish smile.

she sits in silence for the next couple of minutes as the ride progresses. she wants to doze off but she can't shake this feeling that he's about to tell her his real intentions of going to vegas at such an inopportune time. willing or not, she aims to get that information out of him.

she hates to sell him short- she hates to take away from his ability to keep his shit together but..

did bella break up with him? are they okay? is abel okay? is he fucking around again behind her back? is he back doin drugs? he better not be smoking those fucking cigars again...i bet he would have some in the dash..

she lunges for the glove compartment, opening it as if it were a race only to be met with nothing but registration..

"...no cigars?" it comes out like a whisper.

he grins with his mouth closed and glances away from the road over to her just for a second. "no cigars. i told you. what i do have though is.." his right hand pops open the center divide, seconds later revealing a blunt.

"it's just an herbal mix. some shit ahmad is trying to get me on- got a bunch of plants in it that are supposed to be good for your lungs n' other body parts i guess." he shrugs.

she doesn't reply with words, her eyes do all the talking. she's proud. and guilty. she knew he was capable and she feels bad for second guessing that.

he double takes right back at her, "what? i can't quit cold turkey, angel."

"no no-" she flushes, "i'm just pleasantly surprised and very proud of you. well i shouldn't say surprised- just yeah...i'm glad to hear that."

and now he gets bashful, eyes strictly on the road ahead of them. "well thanks...feels good to say it."

"so is it really helping your lungs do you think?"