Chasing After the Sun

Under the waters, in the middle of the Arabian sea, a sighing Mirat sat delegating duties and redefining ministry procedures. Despite how helpless he had been in Mir's love, leadership came to him naturally. He had been born within the reef palace as the eldest child, the fact begetting him the strictest of trainings. In the past, even amongst other children of his age, every group had accepted him as their de facto leader and it had not been so because of his social status.

These days, specie-ism had come to an all-time low with laws being implemented with a delicate understanding of the issue while good sanitation had reduced the death rates by half. Everyone at the sea had been taken in by the Mirat wave. No one knew what social evil would be tackled by their King next.

"I believe we have strengthened the sea, enough?" Mirat started. His eyes were slightly scattered, hiding a secret.

"Yes," said his ministers in unison. Some still doubted his intentions but no one doubted his actions.

Seasoned ministers were seldom wrong.

"I am removing the law that meeting with humans is treachery." He spilled the oil.

Loud murmurs could be heard all over the court. Sharks were the only ones keeping quiet. Mirat smiled to himself thinking how Mir had been successful in making him selfish. He wanted to fight for her. She would be waiting in all her glory.

"Sharkministers, do you have something to add?" With the protectors on his side, Mirat knew the protests would die down for a little while. His heartbeats drummed against his ears. Strategy had always been Mir's strength; patience had been his.

"No, our esteemed King. We humbly support your decision. Perhaps we can allow the opening side-wise? Land on the eastern side has been so specifically unintrusive, it almost feels like someone went to tell them our issues with their previous routes in person," said Sharkchief Ratr. His honesty was his King's best asset. No one could buy people close to the Mirat, Ratr made sure of that. He was not only the King's best friend but his saviour also. After the former King's departure to pilgrimage, Ratr had been the one to support Mirat and finally help him out of depression. It had shocked the Sharkchief immensely to witness someone so powerful crumbling on the inside.

Mirat chuckled at Ratr's words. The entire court laughed. The royal throne was made of sensory plants. It was rare to witness the King happy and the throne flowers had bloomed in their full glory today.

"So, it is decided. If anyone has issues, they may speak up now." The King stared down everyone politely. Silence gulped the casual mood. He did not like these tactics but some checks were necessary for his plan.

Asking people to speak up individually without giving them time to deliberate often made them weak opponents.

No one dared speak up against their competent King, especially since the flowers on the throne had bloomed for the first time in five years. The bill was deemed sanctioned.

---------

Illuminated by her favourite lamp, a gold-faced Mir sat alone in the cell imagining herself with Mirat. Rule in her state had stabilised as she had systematically taken heavy steps to disempower the blood-sucking corporations. Awareness and education drives on power structures in the society had helped her mobilise support from the youngest of adults. With strength centring the crown again, marriage proposals to the throne of the queendom had increased multiple-folds. However, there was no force to accept those anymore. Citizens expected her to stay single for a few years more.

Funnily, she still wore clothes with white in them. Although the white content had reduced remarkably with time, she still upheld the tradition in his memory. And with the same clothes on, she lay on the stone slate they used to sleep on.

Some nights were tougher than others.

Her eyes had stopped tearing up long ago. Yet, her heart stayed heavy as if it had drowned in the same pond he had left her at. Every day, she replayed the same memories over and over. The same conversations repeated and she dreamed similar new ones in hope of meeting him some day. She recalled how Qirat had taken her share of death in the past and she had not been able to tell Mirat about it. He had deserved to know.

She promised to tell him if they ever met in future – even at the cost of bearing his repulsion.

---------

Sitara was munching on sugar-cubes when Mirat and Ratr came to her in disguise. It was her second time dealing with her godson's foolery and yet, she was so shocked that she started choking on her edibles. It took her a heavy pat from Bishwa to get the sugar out.

Mirat waved a 'hi' to Bishwa. She signed a 'yo.' Ratr simply watched.

"Next time you come here unannounced, dressed like some idiot goldfish, I'm going to brew you a poison tea, son."

"I love how I'm always your son."

"What? You expected your title to change me? Nothing changes me, young boy."

"I'm twenty-seven! Not so young a boy anymore!"

"And you're still explaining yourself? Ugh, get to the point!" Sitara knew what he had come for. She was happy for him.

"The legs. I want to see her."

"You think she'd have waited? Girl already had proposals to-and-fro her queendom when she'd just ascended."

"I have faith."

Sitara smiled to herself and handed him a potion from inside her biggest locker.

"You had one pre-made?" Mirat was surprised.

Bishwa informed, "She's been waiting for this day even more than you, you love-sick moron."

Ratr laughed at that while Mirat blushed. Finally, it was time.