Author's Insights

While I was writing this story, I had no idea of how many chapters it would take or whether I would even be finishing it or not. I did not start this story for the competition, and this is probably apparent in the difference between the writing styles of the first and the fourth chapters. As someone who likes intricate detailing, I made do with hidden research and symbolism due to the paucity of time.

So, let me list information that might not be easily visible at the first read to my esteemed readers:

1. In the initial chapters, Mir is the strategizing of the two while Mirat is the patient one. This is in stark contrast with the latest chapters where roles have been reversed. I did this to show how healthy couples learn from each other and grow together.

2. Mir comes from a patriarchal society – thus, there are specific clothes for widows. In no matriarchal society have I heard about widowers wearing their specifically designated clothes. That just does not make sense because it is like branding a person with the status of their partner's death. However, such a custom is prevalent in India. Mir wears white because her life feels colourless when Mirat is not himself in the prison just like a widow's life is deemed colourless after the death of her husband. It is her way of revolting and also strategically keeping proposals at bay.

3. The red lehenga that Mir wore on her last visit to Mirat in prison was a bridal one that is specifically worn by North-Indian women on the day of their marriage. It is rare that Indians see a woman wearing a red lehenga just for the sake of attending a party. Hence, Mir expresses her unsaid wish of forever to Mirat through her clothes.

4. Specie-ism is a metaphor for racism. To hate an animal or person for its natural characteristics is simply not logical. If we do not hate men for being physically stronger and posing a danger to women worldwide, sea-people also should not hate one sect of the sea-ciety just because of their inborn power of poisoning.

5. If merfolk can exist, witches can too. Sitara is a witch and it was she who enchanted the protection amulet worn by Qirat too.

6. Mir's parents do not feature in the book because they died before her succession. Thus, Mir lacked the support of the erstwhile ruler and her ascent to throne is threatened by those who believe they could use her as a puppet. In contrast, Mirat's succession happens peacefully with the support of everyone in the kingdom. This was done to show the difference between the two's styles of administering their territories and show the reasons behind each of their personalities.

7. Mirat does not belong to a patriarchal society and hence, his competitions were all his siblings and not simply brothers.

8. Bishwa also has a story which will be released if this story gets enough support. (I know she's pretty cool.)

9. Anemone is a deadly cluster of plants which stings all marine life alike except clownfish. Since the royalty belong to clownfish species, they do not need guards for their anemone rooms unless there is significant conflict amongst the royal family itself. This specification is important to explain why Mirat had to clean up his puke on the night of being crowned.

10. Mir was kidnapped by that man and it went wrong because that man did not think it through about how he will definitely be caught by royalty the moment he handed over Mir back to palace and so he could not demand money in exchange for her.

11. It took the couple five years to settle their responsibilities enough to be able to meet and this duration was specifically stretched so long to show their devotion to each other and their citizens. The fact that both kingdoms are plagued with different social issues was important to me as I did not want this story to be a senseless sappy love story without any intricacies. Patriarchy, oligarchical rule, racism, foreign policy of a country, etc. are very sensitive issues that need careful deliberation. The couple could not have worked faster.

I wanted to show the possibility that democracies could not be the only way of prosperity for a nation. It is not that I oppose it but the fact is that different types of governance exist and we are still suffering from so many social evils under democracies.

Also, I rolled on my bed crying while trying to fit the story within the 5000-word limit. So much character and beauty from the story just flew off but I hope I could do justice to the story. In case someone wants Bishwa's amazing (mermaid x human) story, do comment.

Special hats off to my roomie, friend, and constant encouragement, for helping me fit the story for editing every useless word out from literally every sentence. Thanks to her.

Thank you for taking out time to read my first finished story.