Circle of Fate

Mir lay in the cell again when the gate suddenly slid. It was dark and her hand instantly went on her dagger's handle.

"Mir?"

Her breaths latched onto hope and flew away. There was no mistaking this voice but she did not want to get hurt. Her hold on the dagger tightened. The silence went on.

Mirat entered the cell and switched on the wall-lamp. Her eyes landed on his face as he treaded towards her excitedly. She dropped the dagger but there was fear in his eyes. He stopped two feet away from the stone slate and looked at her in the eyes.

"I'm still yours, love." She spoke, opening her arms. It mesmerised Mir how his face reflected emotions of joy so candidly in front of her. And Mirat was more surprised for he was rumoured in his kingdom to be emotionless.

He bent down and pulled a sitting Mir into a hug. None of them could speak with tears jammed in their throats. As they soaked each other's presence, one by one they both burst into sobs. No one remembered who started crying first – it wasn't important. They kissed each other's tears, kissed each other's lips, over and over peppering each other with love that had accumulated over the years. The hours were filled with hundreds "I love you"s and Mir couldn't believe it every single time.

He was back. Her Mirat was back!

When they they pulled apart, Mirat's hands did not leave his face for fear that everything would turn out to be a dream. Mirat loved every bit of the attention and care showered on him as he held her close while she touched him at random places, confirming if he was truly there. Soon, it was time for the sun to rise.

"Mirat, I have something to confess." It was the time for truth. Mir had promised herself something and as much as she never wanted to risk his love, she could not keep him in the dark.

"Yes, my love?" He replied as he buried his nose in her neck.

"Look at me, Mirat. This will be painful."

This alerted him.

Was she already married? Engaged? Had he interpreted her words wrong? No, she had opened her arms too! That could not be misread! Or could it?

"Mirat!"

He collected his calmness and asked her to proceed.

"I'm not special for accepting you at first sight, love. I knew your mom."

For a few moments, Mirat could not process what words he had been hit by. But a nervous Mir continued, "I never intended to hide this from you. Initially, I did not know you were a prince. I did not know she was the Queen. It was only when you told me about the specifics of being a royal that I connected the dots. Clownfish race is the mark of royal merfolks because they are immune to anemone clusters, right? I didn't even know what races merfolks had and how to truly distinguish. And when I did realise, you were already in cell and I couldn't hurt you more. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry I didn't tell you before."

"What exactly happened to her, Mir?"

Mirat's agitated words scared her. She prayed for his forgiveness from luck and replied, "I met your mom when I was a child. Father, no, that man, had stolen me from the palace and you know that I had no idea of any world then except one of fear and starvation. I accidentally lost my way one day and the white lilies had looked tasty. I think, she had come to the pond for relaxation when she saw me reaching out to eat those poisonous flowers. She revealed herself to stop me." Mir took a breath. Mirat had been intently listening to everything and she hoped that he did not lose his faith in her.

"I was so fascinated. Afterwards, she asked me never to visit again. But I was a child and she was the only person I felt I could trust. She was too different to gain anything from hurting me. I tried to go after her and almost drowned. She saved me again and realised that I could not be left alone. So, we started meeting every day in secret. She started feeding me. And then one day, that man followed me. He was so angry I had left the house that he wanted to kill me. Your mom came in between. She saved me. After that, that man died due to some amulet-light from her necklace attacking him and I was found by the royal guards. I am so sorry, Mirat. I tell myself I want your forgiveness when in truth, I don't see myself worthy of your love anymore. I don't know what to do. I'm sorry!"

When she looked up to finally meet his eye, he was crying too.

"You know, when I finally had the guts to open her box of belongings, I found there her diary. She had written – I think I have found the perfect friend for Mirat. She will challenge his stubbornness with her own. It will be interesting to see who loses. I only wish he didn't believe in all those rubbish land-dweller rumours!"

"Your mom wanted me to meet you?"

"Yes. And even if she didn't, I couldn't hate you over such a tragic past even if I tried." Mirat smiled sadly.

"I've spent countless nights wondering if I was the reason for your mom's death. I know it was that man but my subconscious doesn't listen to it."

"Maybe being with me will finally give you closure. I already lost mom, my love. Why do you think I'll even consider losing you?" He pulled her to his chest. They laid down like old times on the stone slate, snuggling into each other.

"When are you leaving again?" She asked. A pessimist maybe, but she wasn't delusional.

"You know that your weird law for beheading a person for coveting the Queen doesn't apply to royal-borns, right?"

The realisation crashed into her like fireworks bursting in her heart.

"You are going to reveal yourself?"

"Yes."

"I thought you couldn't do that because you didn't do it last time? I even removed the law for us!"

"Oh well, last time was an exception. I also have a secret to share, although smaller."

"What is it?" Mir asked while snuggling more into her lover.

"Why not get breakfast first?" Mirat teased.

They opened the windows for they had nothing to fear now. Things would find their places with time.

--------