Chapter Three

Towards the end of the day, Kei found himself seated in the cafeteria with Hinata, Kageyama, Tadashi and Yacchan. Naturally, the weido duo was trying to out-eat each other in some deranged competition. Yacchan kept a worried eye on them, ready to act if someone actually managed to choke. Tadashi's expression was one of fond exasperation, tinged with mild disgust.

Typical, really.

"They never change, do they?" Kei pondered out loud, causing three pairs of eyes to meet his. "What?"
"We've have so changed," Hinata protested around a mouthful of rice.
"Oh yeah? How?" Kei challenged.
That seemed to render them both speechless. Kei smirked.
"For the last three years, you two have done nothing but compete against each other. I'm convinced you don't know how to do anything else. I'd be surprised if you didn't compete at your own wedding."
That made both of them splutter and finally brought Yacchan to her feet to pound them on their backs from inhaling their rice. Tadashi gave him a reproachful look.
"To be honest, Tsuki, you haven't changed much either."
"That is patently untrue," he protested, even as he lied through his teeth. He was changing, alright. Just not in the way Tadashi meant.
"For the last three years..."
"Yeah, I know. Teased and nettled them, egged them on, and berated them. I know, I know."
"Damn you, Tsukishima," Kageyama finally managed. "For the last time, we..."
"Aren't getting married," Hinata finished for him.

Kei simply raised an eyebrow. Tadashi snorted. Yacchan yelped. Everyone at this table knew the weirdo duo were already engaged. Not officially. Not yet. It was a foregone conclusion, really. They were inseparable and had been since the very first day of their first year. No amount of fights or arguments could keep them apart. Frankly, it was a wonder they didn't already have rings picked out.

Suddenly, the still weird, but not wholly unexpected, fluttery feeling returned, stronger than ever. Seemingly, also with some sort of vengeance, which was new. Kei huffed a breath, and he dropped his chopsticks.

"Tsuki, are you alright?" Yacchan asked, her concern now focused on him. "You've gone pale. You aren't going to be sick, are you?"
"No, I'm fine," he replied. But his hand was already pressing on his pelvic region. "If you don't mind, I think I need to use the bathroom."
He stood up, and stumbled a bit. Tadashi caught him, and then said something even more strange.
"Tsuki... your scent is sweeter."
"What?"
"And I can smell it more than I usually do."
"I... I don't know. Just, let me go, okay? I'll be fine."
"I'll check on you if you aren't back in five minutes."
"Don't you dare! I'm not a child!"
The feeling was growing stronger. Not painful, but not comfortable, either.
"I didn't say you were." Great, now Tadashi sounded hurt. He couldn't win, could he?
"Look," Kei tried to placate them. "It's alright. I'm fine. I just... need some time alone, okay? I'm going to the bathroom, but I won't stay there. I'll meet you back in the team room later."
"But Tsuki..."
"Not a word of this to anyone. I'll deal with it. My way."
He needed to get away, to figure out what was going on. None of this was making sense!
"Tsuki..."
"Promise me! Say you'll promise. All of you."
"I promise," Tadashi said first.
"I promise," from Yacchan.
"We promise, too," Hinata spoke for them both.
Kei gave them a scathing glare, but turned around and faced his best friend. He straightened up as much as he could, which was better than nothing.
"Make sure no one follows me, okay?"
"I'll try."
"Thank you."

Kei walked as calmly as he could from the room, and went straight to the bathroom, like he said he would. At the first sink he came to, he braced himself with both arms, and tried not to lose his battle with gravity. He felt more fluttery, more jittery, definitely more anxious than he ever had before. In the cafeteria, he'd felt a sort of... shifting deep in his body, like something was moving itself around. It made him queasy, but not nauseous. When he finally looked up and into the mirror, he was pale, just like Yacchan had said. Though, his cheekbones were pinkish in hue.