Chapter Four

Early the next morning, Kuroo arrived at the school and made his way to the gym. He was lucky his apartment was located close enough to walk here, because otherwise, he'd have been late. After the practice matches were called off for the evening, Bo and Keiji had taken him out to eat and hang out for a while so they could catch up. Several hours later, he was at home in bed with only a few hours to try and get some sleep.

"Kuroo, can you come into my office for a moment?" Nekomata asked as soon as he'd been spotted.
"Sure, Coach," Kuroo said amiably, and followed the old man into the room. They weren't alone, it seemed, as Kuroo's attention was immediately on both men waiting for them.
"Coach Ukai. Takeda-sensei. A pleasure to see you both again," he greeted them with a bow. As he rose, he took the few steps necessary to bring him closer so he could shake their hands.
"Good to see you, too, Kuroo-kun," Takeda-sensei replied for them both. Ukai merely nodded.
"Please, have a seat, gentlemen." Nekomata said as he made his way behind his desk. "Kuroo, we thought it wise to tell you the news this way, rather than you hearing whispers and rumors throughout the day."
"News, sir?"
He was sure he looked as confused as he sounded. He looked at his mentor, then at both visiting coaches. It was Ukai who spoke up first.
"We found Tsukishima in a rarely used courtyard a few hours ago. We don't know why he was there, but it may have had something to do with his condition."
"Condition? What condition, sir?" Worry laced his words.
"We don't know for sure," Takeda-sensei replied carefully. "The school nurse didn't know how to alleviate the problem, so she advised us to send Tsuki to the hospital. He's resting there now."
The omega coach looked rightfully worried himself, and Kuroo wasn't so sure it was all about Tsuki. In a room surrounded by concerned alphas, some of their scents may be making it past the patches on their necks. Especially Kuroo's, and he had to double check that his patches were still firmly in place. He turned to face Nekomata.
"Sir, may I..."
"As much as I would like to let you go to him, Kuroo, I'm not entirely sure that's a wise decision." The head coach turned his attention to Ukai and Takeda-sensei. "They'll be releasing him soon, will they not?"
Ukai looked at his watch. "Another couple hours, at least," he replied. "They want to make sure he gets the rest he needs, in addition to running a few more tests. After that, one of us will go get him."
"I'll do that," Nekomata said, with no room for argument from anyone. "You two need to concentrate on your team and keep them together, now more than ever. Especially your third years."
"Right."
"But, sir, I..." Kuroo tried to interrupt again, but Nekomata silenced him with a look.
"While I'm gone, you are the head coach. It'll be your job to keep everyone practicing on their positions and keeping the ball from hitting the ground. Think of this as a trial run, if you will."
Kuroo snorted, but kept his mouth shut.
"Good," Nekomata said, winking at him.
Kuroo faced Karasuno's coaches again. "How is he?"
"He's resting, and from what he told us before we left, he's not in pain anymore."
"That's a relief. Thank you, sir."
Ukai looked at his watch again, and slowly rose to his feet. "We gotta head out there. Breakfast is almost over, so the kids will be making their way to the gym."
"Right," Takeda-sensei rose too, as did Kuroo. He followed them as far as the door when Nekomata called his name.
"Stay a moment, please."
"Sir."
He closed the door and came back to stand in front of the desk. As he did so, Nekomata pulled a folder from a desk drawer and handed it to him.
"When you get the chance, read this. Without much in the way of context, it might not make sense. But, trust me, it will."
"What are you saying?" he asked the old alpha. "What do you know?"
"Just read that file. We can talk later."
Nekomata eased himself up on his feet, and walked around the desk, coming to stop beside Kuroo.
"If this is what I think it is, I'm willing to bet you'll have a significant part to play. And soon, if I'm not mistaken."
"You're talking in riddles, sir."
"And you're cunning enough that you might figure out what your part is and what to do about it, too." Nekomata glanced up at him with a sly little grin. "Until then, Coach, we have work to do."