Reluctance

Evie didn't want to climb out of the shower, watching the steam furling and unfurling in curls that wafted around her as the warmth of the water beat down on her weary body was relaxing. She was lucky in that her townhouse was in one of the most posh communities in Miami, which meant the builders spared no expense. Her water heater could run all day, she could sit down on the marble floor and stay in the shower all day, all night, and still have hot water. The floor, however, though beautiful to look at, was cold no matter what and hard and wholly uncomfortable. Just as Amelia began to knock on the door, Evie made the decision to get out. "I'm just getting out," she announced in the direction of the door as she opened the glass and reached for a fluffy blue towel that was hanging on its bar on the wall.

"Good, because I'm coming in," Amelia responded. The door handle turned and she stepped in. "God, I can barely see." She tried to wave some of the steam away. Having been childhood friends, it was not unusual for either Evie or Amelia to barge in when they needed. The only thing unusual was that Amelia brought Evie's cell phone. "Your mom is on the line," Amelia said softly as she handed it over. "She sounds upset."

Evie rolled her eyes. "I suppose she's heard," she groaned as she wrapped the towel around herself and held out her hand. "Hello, Mother," she said, her voice curt.

"Evangeline Marie," her mother began.

Amelia could hear her shrill voice from across the room, shook her head and mouthed, "Sorry."

Evie took a deep breath as her mother continued. "What is this I hear about your breaking engagement with Chas? You know, this wedding has already begun. I've reserved a wedding planner- George Montouth. He's the best, you know. The Carrolls used him for their daughter Grace's wedding last year and I intend to top that event."

"Mother, you don't understand," Evie huffed, barely able to get a word in edgewise over her mother's frantic diatribe. Finally, she yelled into the receiver, "He cheated on me!"

There was a moment of silence. Amelia was in awe, her mouth agape at Evie's sudden show of defense, and she whispered, "Tell her," under her breath, rooting for her friend.

Her mother sighed, her exasperation coming through the receiver more loudly than she probably anticipated. "Sometimes, you just need to swallow your pride and look past these indiscretions," she groaned. "Your social standing is much more important than a little horseplay."

Evie couldn't believe what she was hearing. "Horseplay?" she echoed. "Horseplay? He's been carrying on with his secretary for six months, even before he proposed. That's hardly horseplay. And my social standing is worth less than my emotional balance. If you love him so much, you marry him!" She clicked the phone off and stifled the urge to throw it against the wall and be done with it.

"Come on," Amelia comforted as she pulled Evie close to her, letting her tears fall hot and hard against her shoulder. "He's a dog. He doesn't deserve your tears."

"I know, Evie sobbed, "I just feel so abandoned."

Amelia pulled her into the hallway and wiped away her tears. "You're not abandoned," she smiled. "You've still got me, Sis, and I'm not like your mom. I see what trash Chas was. You're better off without him."