13. I Can't Have You Back

Title from: Put On A Smile by Silk Sonic

6 Months Later - August 2022

Jasmine wanted a summer wedding, so of course a summer wedding is what she gets. The August sun is streaming down on her as she stands at the alter set up here in the vineyard thirty minutes from home. The sun is slightly blocked by a few clouds and there's a small chill in the air, but it doesn't take away from the day at all - frankly I'm too caught up making sure every detail is perfect for Jasmine to care about it. She's been planning this moment as long as I can remember. It's turned out to be everything she deserves and more.

I'm here, in my chosen long and simple sage green bridesmaid dress, it's silk and hangs on to my body by thin spaghetti straps. Elegant yet stylish. My hair is straight, and still long, but pinned back out of my face. The white roses with dashes of sage green petals and leaves which match all the accents of the room. I feel slightly like a princess myself in the dresses soft material, so I can only imagine how Jas feels in her custom made white dress.

I've spent the whole ceremony blubbering quietly from behind Jasmine as she and Valetin exchange vows, rings and words of love. It's completely wholesome and makes my heart swell seeing their love - even if I am a little envious of it. I only hope I can have something like they do.

One day. Maybe?

The man opposite me has his eyes fixed on me, I can feel it and have felt it since I walked down the aisle, bouquet in hand. Pierre is and was always going to be Valetin's best man after all. My heart almost stopped when my eyes found him as I slowly graced down the aisle. One foot then the other. It's the first time in just over a year I've seen him. A momentary wave of sickness washed over me with the sight of him before I took a deep breath and reminded what today is about; Jasmine and Valetin. Not me, or Pierre, or the mess that was created between us.

Pierre had attempted to contact me from time to time. He called once three weeks after the interview with Sports Illustrated came out to check I was okay. I didn't answer, only listened to the voicemail. He had sent me a text from time to time, I always replied but only with a single word response. The only time he returned to Rouen after everything was at Christmas. He stayed with his mother for a whole four days. I avoided him like the plague the entire time. I carefully planned my movements so I wouldn't be at the same events as him or bump into him on the street. Not one minute of my day was unplanned. There was no way that I was going to run into pierre and ruin a single moment of the holiday period.

I even avoided my apartment, I wouldn't put it past Pierre to try and ambush me there. Instead staying with my parents or at Sam's place for six nights (just to be safe).

I didn't miss the way Pierre did a double take when I walked down the aisle before Jasmine. I didn't miss how his big green eyes widened and jaw clenched. The action made my stomach flip and I almost wanted to run into his arms. It's exactly why I've kept my distance from him. I hate that after everything he can have that effect on me. I hate that he makes me feel that way. I hate myself for letting me feel those feelings.

Jasmine did offer to have him kicked out of the wedding party, or even banned from the wedding all together. She offered to use the excuse that his famous presence could take the attention from her and Valetin on their wedding day, but everyone would know the real reason. Me. I didn't want to create that type of tension at a wedding. Especially since he was a member of Val's family. Nevertheless, I'm slightly wishing I did take up her offer now. I don't like how he makes me feel - heartbroken and so full of love all at once.

The officiant, Jasmine's brother George, announces that her and Valetin are officially married. Everyone cheers, including me, as Valetin envelopes Jas in his arms and kisses her, his new wife. I swipe another tear away. Pierre tries his best to meet my eyes but I don't let him, I focus instead on celebrating Jasmine's marriage with my parents, hugging them through my tears and directing wedding guests to the right function room for the reception. The one on the right, with Ivory and sage decorations which overlooks the grounds of the vineyard. Once that is done I see Pierre hovering around, I slip out of the area before we can be alone.