Chapter Forty One

"No" Selena sat down hard on the nearest chair, her heart pounding. "That isn't possible, "she said hoarsely. "I am living proof that isn't possible. Why would you even think that?"

"Eight years ago I had an accident."

The accident that had killed his brother and Demi. "I know about the accident."

"You only know what I chose to reveal." He paced across the room and stared out over the ocean. "Everyone knew that Santallia lost the heir to the throne. Everyone knew my fiancé died. No one knew that the accident crushed my pelvis so badly that my chances of ever fathering a child were nil."

Selena's mind was in turmoil. "Nick—"

"We had a crisis on our hands." He thrust his hands into his pockets, the movement emphasizing the hard masculine lines of his body. "My brother was dead. I was suddenly the ruling prince and I was in intensive care, hitched up to a ventilator. When I survived, everyone was celebrating. It was the wrong time to break the news to the people that their prince couldn't give them what they wanted."

Selena sank her hands into her hair, struggling to take in what he was saying. "Who told you?"

"The doctor who treated me."

"Well the doctor was wrong." Her hands fell to her side and she walked across to him, her tone urgent. "Look at me, Nick. Listen to me. Whatever you may have been told—whatever you think—you are not infertile. I am having your baby."

"Don't do this Selena." He drew away from her. "I've accepted your child as mine, and that's all that matters. You've given me an heir. The public thinks you're a genius." He stared into his drink.

"At some point, I'll have to tell the people the truth. Let them decide about the succession."

As the implications of his words sank in, Selena shook her head, horrified by what that would mean. "No. You mustn't do that."

"Because you're newfound popularity would take a nosedive?" He gave a cynical smile. "You think Santallia might rather not know that its new princess had rather more sexual experience than they'd like?"

"Nick, my sexual experience encompasses you and only you." Frustrated that she couldn't get through to him, Selena turned away and walked over to the window. Dawn was breaking and the sun sent pink shadows over the sea, but she saw nothing except her child's future crumbling before her. "You should see a doctor again. You should have more tests done. They made a mistake."

"The subject is closed."

"Fine. Don't have test then." Anger and frustration rose out of her misery. "But don't you dare announce to the world that this isn't your baby!" Her eyes suddenly fierce, she turned on him. "I do not want our child having that sort of scar on his background. And once you've said something like that you can never take it back."

"They have a right to know about the baby's paternity."

Selena straightened her shoulders. "Once the baby is born I'll prove our baby's paternity. Until then, you say nothing."