the thought of us

"so you're seriously saying you—" brett lowers his violin after their duet decrescendoes to an end, looking over at eddy in awe. he pauses, and it says everything he doesn't say aloud. "do you really?" he asks quietly.

do you really?—to hell with it, but he's asked that question his whole life.

"yeah." eddy's voice is just above a whisper and none of this is real. "i love you. i've loved you for a long time."

the thought of us. i've been feeling things lately and it helps to get it out with music.

oh my god.

brett sets his violin down and walks over to where eddy's seated at the piano. his hands tremble the slightest bit when he takes eddy's face in his hands—they've just played a piece about the things eddy's feeling and eddy just said that and god, it's unreal.

he gazes into eddy's misty eyes before abandoning the last of his coherent mind, leaning down and leaning closer. and suddenly the word us has a whole new meaning.

it's a small kiss, barely there, only for a few long moments (or a million years, he's not counting), but right now, there’s nothing else but this. eddy's hands move to hold brett's wrists, thumbs tracing back and forth against his skin, and all his life, only the sun has ever been this close.

when they break apart, they don't speak, and then eddy breaks the silence. "promise you'll stay by my side forever?"

brett can't help but laugh as he lightly punches eddy's shoulder. "you're still a freaking sap, eddy."

"as if that's ever going to change." eddy grins. "but promise?"

"promise, then. forever."

eddy smiles and stands up to kiss him again properly, gentle and loving just like the sound of his feelings in music.