Chapter four

April, 23, 2022
Victor
4:30pm

"What I'm I doing here?" I said to myself as I parked my car in front of a vintage coffee shop

Which coincidentally; was the first time I ever met Delilah.

We were in our mid 20s and I just moved back to the city to help dad out with some paperwork when he decided to retire.

I had just finished up my masters in business and was planning on heading home to find a job so the timing was perfect.

Except for the fact that I was coming back home to no friends, both my parents were too busy enjoying their golden years to spend time with me, I was living in my childhood home which I was in charge of selling, and my lovely brother was more concerned of getting concussions and making me feel welcome.

So I was pretty much on my own for the first few months, doing nothing but ordering take out and watching bad movies on Netflix.

The day I found a new family to take my old childhood home and got a good price on it I decided to treat myself by going to a cute coffee shop that I kept passing by every time I drove to work.

I walked in order for a simple vanilla latte and once it was done I took it and bumped into a woman spilling my drink on the floor.

I don't know what exactly set me off; Maybe all the emotions about selling the home I grew up in, the realization that I was all alone doing everything by myself, or if I would just be really pissed off about spilling my drink.

But I started to crying, Like full on sobbing

Any other woman would've walked away or ignored me but she placed two fingers under my chin to lift my head up and I was greeted by her growling hazel eyes and lavender colored hair.

"Need to talk? I'll buy you a new coffee" She offered

I'll never forget that day; she was so beautiful and I had snot dripped down my face.

She bought me a new coffee and I told her everything that happened in the last two months.

I never met a stranger so understanding and kind and of course she talked about herself saying how she just got a job as an assistant at this news station and how her boss was the classic old rich misogynistic guy any woman would dread to have.

We ended the afternoon exchanging numbers

And my first text to her was asking what her name was, realizing that I had forgotten.

After that we fell hard for each other, texting all the time, seeing each other as much as possible, once I had enough money for an apartment she almost immediately moved in.

For the past 3 years things were great. We even got engaged and picked the date and everything.

Unfortunately things only went down from there

Delilah finally got promoted and started to interview people like she always wanted to and was living her dream job.

I also quit my job around the same time and bought the Starbucks building at the college.

We were both making great money and I thought it had a great opportunity to finally start a family.

She was reluctant and shocked me since she talked about wanting children in the pass.

Turns out it wasn't the having children part; It was me.

She started telling me how ever since I bought Starbucks all I do is stay home and barely go to work; that I just let my workers handle themselves and collect the money at the end.

According to her
"I lost my ambition"

I try to get her to see things my way, showing her that my flexible schedule will be great for having kids since I could stay home and she could continue working.

However, to her she said that I was becoming too comfortable and lost my spark of passion.

We talked about this for a while until she just ended things and crushed my heart.

I was able to find a new place and try for months to get back together but she wouldn't change her mind until she eventually blocked me.

Any ambition I had was completely drained and I fell into a deep depression and having my brother living with me again after his accident didn’t help.

2 months ago I would’ve jumped at the chance of getting back together, but now I didn’t even want to face her.

We had to push back this meeting about 3 times because of work and other factors; It was her idea to for-go the idea of lunch and decided to do something small and get coffee.

I finally got out of the car and walked inside and saw Delilah with her hair now a lime green and she seemed nervous looking around waiting for me.

“Hey” I greeted her meekly and sat down in the seat across from him

“Hey” She said as she strengthen her back and placed her phone face down on the table

“How have you been?” She asked me

“Fine…and you?” I asked her

“Good yeah um…I wanted to see you again” She told me and played with her hair which made me smile; I always thought she was cute when she played with her hair

“About” I asked nodding showing I was listening

She was vague through text and all I knew is that she was upset that I was seeing someone else.

“About our breakup and everything that happened after” She said honestly

“You mean you blocking me and not even facing me when you moved out” I asked bitterly

She looked down with a face of sadness and shame which made me regret my comment

“I’m really sorry but it’s…I…Something happened to me” She said inhaling a deep breath

“What?” I asked and I looked down at her leg and saw it was in a boot which made my eyebrow rise

“What happened?” I asked again more concerned