Prologue

⪡⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⪭∰⪬⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⪢

Blood.

So much blood.

Blood that wasn't his continued dripping down the snow covered ground, dyeing the icy white with crimson red.

Breathing composedly despite the growing panic inside, he trudged his way through the knee-deep snow with an unmoving figure at his back. He unfortunately didn't have time to check on their condition as he was busy trying to make distance from the angry screams gaining on him.

A sharp hissing noise sounded behind him as he sidestepped to the left quickly but gently as to not worsen his companion's state.

The arrow missed its mark and hit the ground beside him a moment later, but he paid it no heed and continued moving.

Thoughts of what those people would do to his fellow runaway echoed in his mind. Although he tried his best to explain the situation and the non-existent threat that ****** posed, they didn't want to hear any of it, either believing he had lost his mind or having joined the side of evil.

Why? Why won't they listen?

Weren't they his friends?

Weren't they his comrades?

Weren't they his brothers-in-arms?

After all that he has done for them..... Does his people's hatred for their kind run so deeply that they'd refuse to see reason?

He himself is aware of the existence that he carried with him.

They were different, however. He is sure of it.

For despite who they are and what they appear to be...

******'s mind and heart is exactly that of a human's.

Mana shifted in the air as a bright light suddenly filled the hazy area. The chilly air swiftly became hot and uncomfortable, his instincts screaming at him to get away.

Alarmed, he turned to look behind him and, with his blessed eyes, spotted a glowing, fiery orange magic circle spinning wildly in the distance.

'They brought a mage?!' Were his last thoughts before the very soil he was currently on glowed with the same color, the snow instantaneously melting and then evaporating into the air.

Due to the little amount of time left along with the extra weight that he carried, unleashing a form was out of the question.

Left with no choice, he breathed in deeply, gathering as much strength as he could towards his lower limbs....

And jumped.

A pillar of smoldering flames erupted from the earth not even a second later, raging up towards the sky like a majestic geyser.

Too bad this was magic used in an attempt to take their lives.

And sadly, the two didn't come out unscathed.

The blast of the massive explosion caught them in mid-air, throwing them off of each other and sending them crashing down, but not before giving them first and second-degree burns due to the intense heat.

"******!"

He managed to wheeze out as he sluggishly got back up, scanning the devastated surrounding with sharp yet worried eyes.

The smoke from the spell made it hard for him to breathe and pinpoint where exactly his companion landed, but he was not about to give up-

Footsteps approached from his right with the speed of a starving cheetah.

"DIE TRAITOR!"

Ignoring his aching injuries, he un-sheathed his sword and swung at the offending weapon originally aimed for his neck, as several footsteps sounded not too far behind.

'I don't have time for this!'

He didn't want to hurt them, he really didn't.

But he was done with talking.

What was the point of making them understand when every word he says goes from one ear and out the other?

****** is losing blood fast. He can't afford to waste any more time.

If they wish to continue this nonsense and get in his way....

...

...

His grip on his sword tightened.

He steeled his resolve, ignoring how his heart cried out in despair.

His face betrayed no emotion but cold focus.

A deep breath...

And a single swing of a blade.

....And then more blood, spilling onto the ground.

⪡⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⪭∰⪬⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⪢

A/N: Hi, I'm new to both Wattpad and writing, and English isn't my main language. So, with that in mind, readers....

....Go easy on me, please.

That said, hope you enjoyed this!