Chapter 2

"Christian, are you here?" My English teacher asks during attendance. I doodle in my fuzzy pink notebook. At this point, I honestly have pink, fuzzy everything. I'm just finishing up the butterfly I was drawing when my boyfriend, Austin, approaches me, wrapping his arms around my shoulders. "Hey, baby," He says, shifting his body to look at me. "Are we still on for tomorrow's movie? I'll pay for your popcorn." He pleads, making puppy-dog eyes at me. Listen, if I were into guys, I might just be into him. But, since I'm not, I'll just have to settle for pretending. "Well, when you put it like that, I obviously have to say yes..." I reply, leaning in to peck him softly on the lips. Good. I'm keeping up my appearances for the day. Out of the corner of my eye, I catch that girl staring at us. Well, more like staring at me. God, she's beautiful. I know, I've said that before. But how can someone be so perfectly my type, and actually... look at me like that? Okay, I'm probably getting ahead of myself here. It's nice to dream, though. When she notices I've caught her gaze on me, she quickly averts her eyes to the whiteboard. 

                  "Hey, Zoe," Melissa says, appearing next to my locker before fourth period

                  "Hey, Zoe," Melissa says, appearing next to my locker before fourth period. "Are you down for a sleepover tonight? I have so much to catch you and Emma up on!" I raise my eyebrows. "Melis, you do realize it's a school night, right?" She throws an odd look my way. "I know that. But does it really matter? It's not like we have anything important happening tomorrow!" She argues.  "Melissa. We have a test tomorrow." I say. I have to do well on this test. That's what I say about every test,  and I always do well, but you can never be too sure. "Come on, Zoe. Don't be such a drag. Have some fun!" She presses, pulling out her phone. "There. I just texted you the list of things you need to bring. You better be there!" She saunters away, stepping into the home economics lab.  

                  I'm heading to science class, planning when I'm going to study for the test since apparently, I have to go to a sleepover when I suddenly crash into something. Well, make that someone. My textbooks fall to the floor. I'm about to lean down to retrieve them, but it looks like the person has me covered. Except, this isn't just any person. This is the girl. "I am so sorry. You don't have to-" "You're good." She interrupts. I'm about to thank her, but before I know it my books are in my hands and she's hurrying off to class. 

               "Zoe! I knew you'd come through!" Melissa squeals as I cross the threshold into her home

               "Zoe! I knew you'd come through!" Melissa squeals as I cross the threshold into her home. It's an expansive brick house, with vast ceilings, sparkling chandeliers, and plush furniture. "What's all this?" She asks, gesturing towards my school bag. "Well,  I have to get some studying done, and this is the only time I have." I grunt, dropping my backpack by the stairs. "I mean, do what you want, but you're not going to have much time since I have news about Darren..." She taunts, sauntering up the spiral staircase. Listen, I may not be into the same things the popular people are into, but Melissa is still my best friend, and I need to be there for her, through every rant and every breakup. So, naturally, I need to be there for this conversation. "Melis, wait up! Let me get my pajamas on first!" I cry as I race up the stairs.

 "Melis, wait up! Let me get my pajamas on first!" I cry as I race up the stairs

"Hey, Em... how are you feeling?" I ask, patting her on the shoulder. I cringe. That was not helpful. At all.

"Are you kidding? Sure, it was nice to have a boyfriend, but I wasn't crazy about him or anything."

"I-er-I-o-okay-" I stammer. Wow. I don't know what to say.

"I am so glad you're feeling okay, Em, because I have so much to tell you guys!"

"So...." I press, grabbing a handful of popcorn from the glass bowl on Melissa's bed. "Well, you know how I signed up to volunteer at the library, right?" She asks, stuffing a ginormous piece of fudge in her mouth. I raise my eyebrows. "No. I actually didn't know that." Emma, who is sitting in a bean bag chair on the floor, continues for me, "More importantly, why?" Melissa dismisses her comment. "That's not important. What matters is that Darren is volunteering there as well!" "Wow, just when I thought it couldn't get any weirder. How exactly did you find out about this, might I ask?" She practically bursts with excitement. "That's where we get into the second part of my news. I was in a student council meeting, and they asked me and Darren to put up some posters for the Winter Formal. We were taping up some of the flyers, and I asked why he was so fast. He told me that he has plenty of practice from putting up posters in the library! So, I emailed the coordinator and asked if I could switch time slots so I could spend more time with Darren! I didn't mention that last part, of course." Emma takes a swig of her Coke. "Oh my gosh, I'm so excited for you!!!" She gets up and hugs Melissa. 

I'm talking with Melissa about the Winter Formal when Emma inhales sharply. "Uhh, Melis... you may want to see this." Melissa immediately bounces off the bed, sitting next to Emma on the now-crowded bean bag. She gasps. "Guys, come on," I beg. "what happened?" Emma joins me on the bed. "Darren just posted this to his Instagram story." She tilts her phone so I can see as Melissa joins us on the bed. "He posted a picture of himself at a party, hanging out with that Elliot kid. Like, why would Darren be hanging out with someone like... him?" She scrunches her nose. "He's so weird." I study the image more closely. I see a few people from our school that I know, but also someone I don't. 

It's her.

Again. 

"Who's this?" I ask, pointing to the girl with whom I can't seem to stop crossing paths. Melissa sneers. "Oh, that's just some random girl from school. Total freakshow if you ask me."

Well. No need to be so dramatic.

"Do you know her name, though?" I ask, trying not to look too interested. "I'm pretty sure it's G... Em, help me out here." Emma rubs her temples. "G...Ge...Gemma? Gemma." Something doesn't feel right. For some reason, that name just doesn't fit the girl I keep seeing. 

Enough of this! This is ridiculous. Tomorrow, I'm going to figure out who this girl is. Which will require actually talking to her. I know, I'm supposed to be doing everything in my power to prevent people from finding out about me, but I just can't resist this lingering curiosity.

So it's settled. Tomorrow, I will go and... well... be myself. For a few moments, at least.

Resources

Trevor Project: 1-866-488-7386

Trevorspace: https://www.trevorspace.org/

Kids Help Phone: 1-800-668-6868