Chapter 5

For the rest of the day, I can't seem to focus. My afternoon classes go by in a daze, and I can't stop thinking about the fact that I want something with her. With someone, someday. But I can't afford for anyone to find out.

Oh, but I really want to try with her. I really do. Aagh! If it weren't for my uncle, perhaps everything would be fine. But I can't risk him finding out about me. Who knows what he would do if he did?

As I wait in line for the bus outside the school, I pull out my phone, opening Instagram. I immediately click on the search bar and look up Gia. She never actually told me her last name, so I didn't expect anything to come up. However, apparently, I follow Elliot on Instagram, and he follows Gia. So, naturally, Gia's profile pops up. Before clicking on her account, I make sure no one's watching and tilt my phone down toward my body. When I tap on her profile, her feed is flooded with photography and photos and videos of her making pottery. I make the mistake of clicking on one of the videos, and God. I never realized how hot that shit is. I continue to be mesmerized by her hands sculpting the clay until someone grabs my shoulders from behind.

I scream, leaping forwards, making sure to turn off my phone before anyone sees. "Jeez, Zo!" The person exclaims. I slowly turn around to see Austin staring at me in shock. Actually, not just Austin. The entire school.

"Are you okay? I just wanted to ask what you were doing."

"Oh. Uh, yeah, I was just... checking the weather." I reply in an attempt to sound casual. I fail.

"Why? I saw you checking it this morning."

"Well, you know those weathermen. You can never trust them."

He cocks his head at me. "I suppose you have a point. So... are you excited about tonight's movie? I already paid for the tickets." Of course he did. It's not that I don't appreciate it, it's just... I just don't want him to get too attached to me. To this relationship.

"Oh, you... you don't have to do that-" He cuts me off. "It's fine, Zoe. It's my pleasure. Listen, there's my bus, but I'll meet you at the movie theatre at eight. Okay?" I sigh. "Yeah, see you tonight," I peck him on the cheek, then watch as he races to catch his bus.

At home, in the comfort of my room, I'm trying to figure out what to wear for my date with Austin, when I experience the sudden urge to use Gia's number. I open the text messaging app on my phone. I don't like phone calls. I really, really don't.

I start typing out a message, then delete it. This is my first text with her, so I should keep it simple.

Hi!

This is Zoe.

I take a seat on my bed and stare at my phone, waiting for a reply. After a while, I get tired of waiting and step back inside my closet.

I'm just taking a little black dress off its hanger when I hear the familiar chime of a notification coming from my phone. I practically leap onto my bed to check.

Hi, Zoe.

This is Gia.

I let out a little giggle, but then realize she's still typing.

I noticed you liked my ceramics video on Instagram😉.

The one with me by the wheel.

I can feel the heat rising to my cheeks. When did I like her video? The number one rule of trolling is don't like anything.