Part 12: Encounter

Arche was already up and ready to run. So was Dune, and Armolten was already running up the mountain without them as if she knew exactly where to step. The snow around her melted quickly, leaving a trail of sharp rock behind to follow. At least now through the snowstorm, they'd find their way up.

       "What is that? What in AEREIS IS THAT?" Arche said, scaling the mountain quickly with Dune close behind so he didn't fall with his sore leg, even though he seemed to have no problem with it, but just in case. 

       Dune felt colder the higher they went up. But despite how fast they were climbing, the Warden was close behind, effortlessly stepping closer. Dune was able to see the silouhette of the warden. Long, lanky legs, crystals hanging from its hood like ice stalactites. It was even taller than she anticipated it to be, it's head curved downwards into a beak-like shape, and piercing glowing eyes. 

       "It's a Boreal Warden," Dune said through her hitching breaths. The rocks below cut her, but she hooked her claws into the rough surface and kept on pushing herself through the stone slopes. Up ahead, Armolten's fiery blue glow was visible through the storm. But she wasn't running anymore.

       Dune and Arche came to her side. "What's wrong?", Dune asked, looking back to see how far the warden was. There were more pine trees growing up there, creating a temporary barrier for the warden to try and get around. 

        "We're here," Armolten replied, the wind blowing her voice away. Dune was confused, but she looked forward and saw a large cave mouth, stalactites dusted in snow and frost, the darkness visible through the blowing snow. It was huge, big enough for a lmakosaurodon to just barely squeeze through, but the warden would never be able to get through that. But she also had a sinking feeling that Gher would be here, inside the dark cave. 

       Dune shook the snow that was piling on her back off and made her way in. "Come on, we'll be safe from the warden in here." 

       The other two were hesitant to follow, but when they heard trees crashing down, they hurried themselves up, entering the cave, running past Dune, who followed quickly behind. A few moments later, the warden had arrived at the cave entrance, trying to use it's long front legs to reach the trio, but they were already so deep.

       The cave was dark and so wide, even Armolten's bright mane couldn't shine enough to reveal both walls. Jagged stone grew from the ceiling like teeth ready to impale whoever trespassed. But somehow, the farther they went, it got warmer and... wetter. Not muddy and gross like the swamp, but rather slippery rocks here and there and puddles of water in random areas. 

       Arche came up to Dune's side while Armolten walked ahead. Dune looked over at him to see how he was holding up. He looked very exhausted, his scales looking paler and colder than what they used to be. His leg was still charred, close to a teal black. But it looked to be healing quickly. Maybe when they stop Gher, Aire could take a look at him. 

       "How did you know what warden that was?" Arche asked, turning his head to look at Dune's dimly lit face. 

       Dune hesitated. "I just... did." 

       He didn't seem convinced, but he decided not to prod her into more of it. "Do you know anything about their... diet?" He asked. Dune could tell what he was asking. She knew the answer, but it confused her all the more.

       "They're herbivores," she said blankly. "And they're supposed to protect creatures abandoned in the snow. But that warden... it sounded angry... like it was mad at us."

       "But why would it be mad at-"

       "Hey, love fylufs, there's a fire up here, and it's not mine!" Armolten called. 

       Arche stammered. "We're not-" he started, but Dune stepped on his foot to shut him up and continued forward to see what the fire was.

       It definitely wasn't a natural fire, and a pile of all sorts of fruits and vegetables were piles near the fire. Upon closer inspection, she was that the fire was being fed leftover herbs. Someone was living here. Gher was carnivorous, so he must have been working with an herbivore, and maybe that creepy aereis, Sane. 

       Dune looked around the cave, but something caught her attention. Grooves in the walls with weirdly shape rocks poking out from them. Dune walked over to them and pulled one out. She knew how to read, and saw that the stone slab she had was about an ancient creature called "Ura". The charcoal image of the creature was long and majestic, as it flew over the ocean. She put the slab back and took another one out. This one was about the past and the planet's old shapes and biomes in different areas. She couldn't believe that the oasis used to be a mountain range. Another slab was written about way back, on the beginning of creatures.

       "These are all slabs on the history of everything..." Dune said, half to herself. Arche heard her and came over to look for himself. he took out one slab and stared at it for a while before letting out a sigh and putting it back. Guess he couldn't read. 

       She looked at all the slots in the cave wall, but there was only one slot that was empty. It took her a moment that below each slot was smudged labels for each slab, and the one that was missing was about how to re-open Daimona. The same dimension that held Sar'Hingaro. 

       A screech was heard from above, and jagged claws scratched their way across Dune's back. She arched up, letting out a shrill and looked up to see a sandy color vin'rou with bright orange accents. Dune knew exactly who it was, and she got herself into a fighting stance. Armolten and Arche got to her side as well while the male flier clung to a stalagmite, hanging upside down.

       "I didn't think you'd find me here, but it's already too late."