Chapter 9: Deceptive

Patrick had stopped at a small diner for lunch that same afternoon. He ordered himself a sandwich before seating himself at the table beneath the window, patiently waiting for Emma to arrive.

He had felt a lot more at ease now that he knew Vera wasn't alone when wandering the streets of New York City. She had a friend by her side, and that was more than enough to calm him down.

Although Owen wasn't the best of fighters, or someone Patrick knew he could rely on, it was still better than nothing... all that mattered to him was her safety.

Just then, he heard a small bell from above the door go off. Emma had arrived and began placing an order. She looked over at Patrick and smiled, and all Patrick could do was nod weakly in response.

Once Emma had settled down across from Patrick, their sandwiches had been brought to them. Patrick hasn't eaten since the morning, making him waste no time on starting his meal, "Patrick?" Emma mutters after taking a bite out of her food, "since when have you had that gash on your jaw?"

Patrick lifts a hand up to his face, "is it really that obvious?"

"Yeah!" Emma says, "what happened?"

He quickly chews and swallows his food before speaking, "Owen, Vera's best friend, hit me in the face after leading me out the door of the bar they were sitting in." Patrick sighs, beginning to chuckle, "and I took it like a champ, didn't even bother fighting back because I knew Vera wouldn't like that."

"Oh really?" Emma scoffs, looking to his hand that rested on the table, "then what's that big red gash on your knuckles from?"

Patrick tries to cover his fist with his other hand, but it had already been too late. He shrugs it off and takes another bite out of his sandwich, "I know you all too well Patrick," Emma laughs, "you weren't having it, were you?" She begins to joke.

"I hate him, I hate that man for taking her away from me like that," Patrick admits, wiping his face with a napkin, "he was so cocky about it too so I just had to take up that opportunity to beat him up for that, you know?"

"No, I understand."

"But it's whatever, I guess I can trust him to take care of her," Patrick mumbles.

"Do you know where she's staying?" Emma asks.

"I know where Owen lives," he starts, "but I don't want to show up, I know Vera wouldn't like that."

Emma sympathetically looks up at him, his eyes written in sorrow, "she doesn't want to talk to you?"

"She wouldn't even look at me!" He complains as he takes a drink out of his cup, "I can't do anything about it... only time will tell what happens next."

Before Emma could add anything, Patrick throws a few bills along with some change onto the table before throwing out his scraps and storming out of the diner, "that should be more than enough to cover the both of us," he mumbles to her before pushing out the door, "thanks for joining me."

-

Owen looked to the door as she opened it and walked toward him through the dim room. She had perfect dark locks for hair and had thrown on a natural makeup look, her heels sparkled in the same shade of red as her skin-tight dress which stopped just around her thighs. Out of awe, he watched her approach him with his mouth gaping open, it was hard to look away as his eyes were drawn to her curvy silhouette caused by the light coming from behind, "how do I look?" She asks him genuinely.

"I haven't seen you in a dress in a while, V." He tells her, "you look breathtaking."

Vera smiles, "thank you," she laughs, "you ready for me to clean those cuts for you?"

"Oh, right," he rubs his legs, sitting down at his kitchen table and watching as she sits across from him, placing her knees in between his as she pops open the first aid, "you sure you don't want me to come with you?"

"We'll be okay, Owen," Vera tells him as she cleans him, "it's a girl's night, I won't be gone long."

"Okay," he agrees, watching as she delicately cleans his face, her eyes concentrated, "I still can't believe your ex did this to me... I never liked him you know."

"Ex?" Vera asks, "I'm still technically with him."

Owen looks at her, stunned, "even after what he did to me? After he cheated?"

"To be fair, you did hit him first," Vera giggles subtly, "and you shouldn't pick a fight with someone bigger than you."

"You're welcome for protecting you," Owen adds, sounding a little more irritated.

Vera rubs her lips together as she looks into his angered blue eyes, dabbing some more antibiotic onto a cotton ball, "you're right... sorry."

She gave him a look of defeat, Owen had reminded her of him and now she had gone silent, "sorry for bringing him up, you must've really liked him."

"I do, I really do," Vera nods, on the verge of tears, "and I'm starting to think all of this is a big misunderstanding because... he does love me, I know that for certain."

"Vera..." Owen laughs uneasily, "that Maria girl wouldn't be here with him if he loved you, she picked up your call off of his phone, she's in New York with him even though she lives on your block."

"Enough, Owen," Vera grew silent as she puts the first aid away, feeling her tears start to fall uncontrollably, "I don't want to hear about this anymore."

"Vera? Oh please don't cry," Owen sighs, bringing her closer to him, "please stop crying, I can't take it."

"I'll stop crying," she tells him, wiping away the tears that have already fallen onto her cheek, "I'll stop."

Owen hesitantly brings his hand up to her face, using a towel to wipe away the tears that had raced down to her jaw. His other hand places itself on her knee as he starts to lean into her a lot closer. Vera looks up to find him only inches away from her face, and before she knew it he eagerly closes the space in between them and leaves a gentle kiss on her lips, causing Vera to jolt back and give Owen a look of betrayal.

After reading her face and realizing that he had upset her, he spoke up quickly, "Vera, I'm sorry," he says apologetically, "I take it back, please don't hate me."

"I don't hate you," she says quietly, holding her hand to her lips as she gets up from the table, "I just don't appreciate you over-complicating things," Vera mutters bitterly, gathering her things before making her way out of the apartment.