Chapter 18

Dabi/ Touya Todoroki

"Ane!" Dabi shouted. He reached toward Akane but she moved away. Her fingers were digging into her hair, painfully. Dabi grabbed her wrist and tried to pry them away from her head before she hurt herself but it wasn't working. Akane's demon form was stronger than him. Tears were rolling down her cheeks. Dabi was aware that the other Demon Slayers were nearby but he shouted for them to stay back. 

There was a black blur and Akane bit his shoulder. Pain shot through his shoulder. It took him all his strength not to shout. He could feel her tears slowly soaking his jacket. Akane's fingers had gripped the front part of his jacket as he wrapped his arms around her. A flicker of pale blue caught his vision.

When he looked over, he saw a figure of Akane trying to shove Muzan away. Muzan's arms were on Akane's shoulders. He was pale red while Akane was blue. Only Dabi seemed to be able to see it. Almost without thinking, Dabi rested his forehead on Akane's. A second later, he was inside her mind.

💮 Inside Akane's Mind 💮

Dabi ran towards Akane, who was pinned to the ground.

"Touya!" Akane screeched. "Help." He grabbed Muzan's shoulders and threw him against the file cabinet that contained some of Akane's memories. A second later, Muzan faded to ash and disappeared forever.

💮 ⛈ 💮

Akane slumped forward into Dabi's arms. Dabi caught her as the Hashira ran over.

"Is she alright?" Mitsuri asked.

"How's your shoulder?" Shinobu asked. Obanai reached them first and started to wrap Dabi's shoulder.

"I'm sorry it hurts," Obanai said. Kyojuro helped Obanai.

"T...ouya?" Akane mumbled. She poked his chest and Dabi grabbed her finger before she could do it again. "I think... you're... half-demon too...now." She sounded so exhausted. Akane looked up at him with tired eyes. Her eyelids were half shut. She pointed to his eyes. "You already fused."

"Whoa," Shinobu exclaimed. "One is blue and the other's grey! That's so cool, Dabi!" Dabi shot her a half-smile. And that's when he noticed the change for Akane. She was still in her demon form. But instead of black, it looked like a bucket of white paint was thrown on her. Her black dress and black branch shoes turned white. Including her wings.

"Ane," Dabi said. She was already asleep. Dabi ran his fingers through her hair. Akane hummed softly and nuzzled his hand, making him smile.

"Dabi?" a voice said. Dabi looked up to find Daki looking at him. She smiled kindly at him. Akaza stood beside her. Gyutaro, Douma, Emmu, Gyokko, Kokushibo, Nakime, Hantengu, and Kaigaku were with them. Dabi picked up Akane and walked over to them. His black wings flared open behind him as he stood. The demons bowed to a very confused Dabi. Akaza straightened and smiled at Dabi.

"You and Akane are the new King and Queen of the Demons," Akaza explained. "Akane was the heir to the throne so that makes her queen." Dabi nodded slowly.

"And because you are her lover, this makes you king."

💮 ⛈ 💮

"Touya?" Akane's voice asked. Dabi jumped at the sound of her soft voice. He looked over to find her trying to sit up in bed.

"Morning," Dabi said, standing and abandoning the paperwork that he had been trying to do while he waited for Akane to wake up. "How are you feeling?" There was a lot of work that had to be done to make amends between the demons and humans. No more Upper or Lower Moons. Akaza was named Dabi's right-hand man while Daki was picked to assist Akane.

"Tired still." Dabi smiled and sat down next to her on the bed.

"It'll pass." Akane leaned against him. "I'm almost done with the paperwork."

"Let me do some, please. I feel bad, leaving you to do it all." Dabi laughed and kissed her forehead.

"I'm fine with doing paperwork, don't worry. Just focus on getting better. Okay?"

"Okay." Then, there was a knock on the door and Daki stuck her head inside.

"Lady Asha?" Daki said. "Someone wants to see you."

"You can let them in." Daki nodded and opened the door further. Rokuta ran into the room and ran straight over to the bed. Dabi laughed as he helped Rokuta get up so he could hug Akane. "Hey, munchie!" Rokuta wrapped his small arms around Akane's neck. Akane hugged him back. "I missed you too."