05. Someone Else

Liah didn't want to come with us to the beach. I didn't even mention Vik. She just knew he was the reason I wanted to go. That's the only downside to having a best friend, they knew too much.

That meant I'd be alone with Corey. At least until we got to our destination. When seven rolled around, I'd gotten caught up talking to my mom. She loved to gossip about her co-workers at the bank. It was twelve minutes after seven when I could finally opt out of the conversation without seeming rude.

I was afraid Corey wouldn't be there, but his dad's work truck with the Cordell & Cordell Landscaping logo on the side sat parked at the curb. He wasn't one of the Cordell's listed on the truck, not yet at least. But I've heard him talking about it with Gray a few times.

"Do you need a watch?" he asked as soon as I got into the truck.

"Blame my mom."

He started the car, engine rumbling, but didn't move. "What are you wearing?"

I glanced down at my outfit--jeans and a lavender crop top--before glaring at him. "Are you gonna tell Gray that everyone could see my belly button?"

He shook his head. "The heats broken, so don't complain to me when you get cold."

It was early October, but it was also southern California. Cold wasn't a thing.

We had a fifteen minute drive to the beach. I updated the social media page I'd made to promote my nails, adding a cute picture I'd taken of my latest order.

"Why don't you do your own nails like that?" I was surprised Corey spoke to me. My nails were painted a pretty blue color, so I assume he meant why I didn't add designs.

"I like simple nails," I said with a shrug. "Are you interested in getting yours done?"

Hands still on the steering wheel, he stretched out his long fingers as if examining his nails. "I'm thinking blue and gold for school spirit. Maybe a shark."

I rolled my eyes, almost smiling, before I caught myself. This was Corey. A snitch. The enemy. It was alarming how easy it was to talk to him when his very presence used to irritate me.

Then again, he was always with Gray. Maybe my brother took all my hatred with him to college. Still, I couldn't let myself get too comfortable around Corey. I didn't know how much information he was sending back to my brother. What if allowing me to come to the beach was just another way for him to keep an eye on me? I had to ditch him immediately.

When Corey pulled into the parking lot, the beach was still buzzing with activity. The boardwalk was lit up with signs, restaurants and gift shops fight for attention. There was an ice cream shop I loved and I made a beeline for it. I wanted a reason to get away from Corey, but a cup of cookie dough sounded delicious.

"Seriously?" I tried not to roll my eyes as my babysitter joined the line behind me. He wasn't supposed to follow me.

"Yes. Seriously. And you don't have to hold my hand while I do this."

He held his hands up in surrender, backing away. "Alright, I'll be down there." He pointed to a group of people on the beach.

I sent him off with a little wave. After I secured my ice cream, I walked down the beach in the opposite direction from Corey and his group.

The boardwalk was more busy than the actual beach. Families and couples and friends milled about, colorful shopping bags or food in their hands. Walking among them alone had me feeling some kind of way. I wished Liah was there, so I'd look less like a loner.

There was a couple feeding each other cotton candy. They looked cute, in love. At least, I think it was love. I wasn't exactly an expert on the subject. Still, my heart longed for something similar. Since Kadeem, the only boyfriends I've had have been fictional.