Sorting it Out

Bruce left the room, and just a moment later my two soulmates burst in. They rushed to my side, and I could feel the waves of anxiety coming from them from my soulmarks. Steve reached my side first and grasped my small hand in his much larger one.

"You ok doll? You really gave us a scare.", he said.

Clint had reached my other side, and gently traced his hand down the side of my face.

"Feeling ok sweetheart?" He soothed.

I was quiet for a minute, just basking in the warmth and strength I pulled from just their presence. I smiled softly. "Yeah, I'm ok. My head hurts, but it will be fine. I'm just so happy to have met you, I don't even care about the headache."

Both men grinned and Clint answered "We're really happy too sweetheart. We can't wait to get to know all about you."

Steve spoke up. "The others can't wait to meet you too."

"Wait! What? You know who they are too?", I exclaimed "Let's go meet them right now." I said trying to hop out of bed, wincing as my head began to ache.

Steve reached out, putting a gentle, but restraining hand on my shoulder pushing me back into bed. "Not so fast doll. I want you to meet them too, but your system's been through enough today. I don't want your poor body to have any more issues."

I scowled at him. "I don't like people telling me what I can and can't do. I've been on my own for a long time, and I'm really good at taking care of myself."

Clint laughed. "Oh Steve, this one's going to give you a run for your money." To me he said "Steve's our resident military man. Orders are what he's used to."

Steve removed the hand from my shoulder and looked kindly at me. "Hannah", he began. "It's just that we've waited so long to meet you, I literally can't stand the idea that something bad could happen to you. All I'm asking is that you wait, just until tomorrow. For me, please."

I melted under his gentle wheedling. "All right." I aquesised. "I'll wait until tomorrow. "MORNING.", I said making sure to put a little steel in my voice. "Will you at least tell me who they are?"

Clint shook his head this time. "No sweetheart." he said. "They want to meet you on their terms, not with us spilling the beans."

I turned my scowl on him, but nodded my head. "Ok." I replied. "Will you two stay with me for a while?" I turned pleading eyes on them. "I really don't want to be alone in a strange place, and I really want to get to know you."

They both smiled and nodded. "Of course." Steve said. "We'll stay as long as you want us to."

"Wanna play 20 questions?" Clint asked

"Yes!" I replied enthusiastically. "That's a great way to start to get to know each other." I'll go first. "Let's get an easy one out of the way. Favorite color?"

"Easy.", Clint said without missing a beat. "Purple."

"Blue.", Steve replied. They both turned their gaze to me expectantly.

"Green." I answered. "Clint, you're up."

Clint laughed. "Steve, I think you just lost your position as unofficial leader of our little group."

Steve smiled indulgently and shook his head indicating for Clint to ask his question.

Clint asked me "Favorite food?"

I thought about it. "Depends on the season." Spring I love ratatouille. Summer a nice grilled veggie burger and fries. Fall, chili, and winter I make a killer sweet and sour tofu. Total comfort food to me."

Clint smiled. "So, I'm guessing a theme here. Vegetarian?"

"Vegan actually." I corrected him shrugging. "We had to watch a couple of documentaries in health class about it in high school, no turning back for me." "How about you? What's your favorite?"

"Pizza." He replied. "With pepperoni. Sorry sweetheart. No vegan tendencies here."

I laughed. "No worries here. I'm a big to each their own kinda girl. How about you Steve? What's your favorite?"

"Spaghetti and garlic bread." He answered. "I'm kind of a big comfort food guy myself."

We traded questions back and forth for a bit, until I started getting sleepy. Both men noticed, and got me all tucked in and ready to sleep. Normally, I'd resent being treated like a child, but it was so nice to have someone else take care of me for it but, it had been a long time since anyone had. I drifted off to a peaceful sleep, with the sound of my soulmates speaking quietly in the background.