Forty One. Late April.

"Morning, Caiti," said Professor Pym, smiling when Caiti arrived to class on Wednesday morning. While she wasn't exactly known for being early to any of her other classes, she was, as usual, the first one to potions after breakfast. Today though, she was early even by her own standards.

"Good morning," said Caiti. She set her bag down by her usual seat and then went to the back wall to retrieve her cauldron from the shelves.

"How did your meeting go this weekend?"

Caiti had told Professor Pym about her meeting with Alora Serpen ahead of time.

"Good," said Caiti. "Really well, actually. I've... I've decided I want her to be my mentor. And she's agreed."

"Oh, that's wonderful. I really think you'll be glad you did. She's just lovely."

Caiti nodded. "I liked her a lot."

Professor Pym watched her then and Caiti felt like she was being evaluated, but wasn't sure what the content of the test was.

"You seem troubled," Professor Pym said finally.

"I-" Caiti started. "I don't know. I guess I am, a bit."

Pym glanced at the clock and then came to sit down opposite Caiti at the round table.

"What about?" She folded her hands on the table and looked at Caiti with that calm, quiet expression that had always made Caiti feel so comfortable. She'd never been afraid to make a mistake in front of Professor Pym.

"I mean she seems great. And I think she could teach me a lot. It's just scary to think about starting over with someone new. I've gotten... I'm just comfortable with you. It doesn't feel like an attack if you give me a critique because I know you and I know you care about me. I guess I'm just nervous about feeling like I don't know enough."

"Caiti, I'm always a resource. Always. You can send me an owl everyday if you like."

"I know."

"But it'll be good for you to hear from someone else. I'm just one person, and I think I've been able to teach you a lot, but quite frankly, you push me. Keeping up with you, making sure I challenged you... it's become more and more difficult the older you've gotten. It's much easier to teach a student who struggles than one who always excels. I never wanted you to feel bored and now I don't want you to get stuck. You're going to surpass what I can do. In fact, I think you have already. You're exceptionally talented. Alora is someone who can continue to push you and I think she'll have things to offer that I don't have. I also think she and I are similar in many ways and you may find that her way of offering feedback, for instance, is very familiar.

"It's okay to feel nervous. You have a lot of changes coming. Big changes. Your life is about to look a lot different than it has. But I think you can let yourself feel excited, too. And again, I am always here for you, for whatever little I might be able to offer."

Caiti nodded, but she found she couldn't speak. Her eyes were stinging and her throat was tight.

"I do expect regular updates, anyway," added Professor Pym with a smile, standing back up. "I'm very invested in what you're doing here. I'd like to know how it all turns out."

Then Caiti got up too and she hugged her tight. Professor Pym gave her a squeeze and patted her on the shoulder.

"You're the best teacher here," Caiti said, sinking back into her seat. She had to swipe a tear from the corner of her eye. "I've learned more from you than everyone else combined."

"I don't know if that's accurate," said Professor Pym. "But thank you very much."

Caiti had to hold back tears the entire lesson. There were only four weeks left before N.E.W.T.s and once exams were through, she'd probably never sit in this classroom and brew a potion again.