Year 11: The new girl

Tara's pov

"I can appoint Tara Jones to take care of you."

My attention, which had previously been fixed on Darcy's arm around my shoulder as she threw a blanket over both of us ( trust me, it is immensely satisfying to do gay stuff right under everyone's nose), was instantly diverted towards the conversation where my name had popped up. I held myself from turning around and listened carefully.

"No, it's fine, really."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

I recognised one voice as our teacher's and the other of a younger person, probably another student, but I had never heard that voice before.

As soon as I heard our teacher walk away, I turned around and took a peek and saw a mass of gorgeous curly hair. She was definitely new.

"Psst, Darcy, who is that new girl?"

"Huh?" Darcy said, shuffling her phone under her skirt.

I rolled my eyes, "I said, do you know who that girl is?" I discreetly tilted my head towards her.

"Oh," she squinted her eyes, "Isn't she the girl that got her phone confiscated by the teacher yesterday?"

"Did she?" I frowned.

"Wait," Darcy said, "I've seen her before." She tapped her finger on her forehead, "wait, wait, wait. I think I saw her id on insta? She is mutuals with Charlie. Yes this is her."

"Do you remember her name?"

"I think it's...Emma? Ella? Elle? Yes, it's Elle."

The gears in my brain started clicking, "Do you think...is there any chance she could be the trans girl who was in Truham?"

Darcy slammed her hands on the table, "Oh my god, yes, this could be her."

"Shh," I said, "we don't want to draw attention to that."

"Oops," she said, "Sorry, got a little excited."

"Clearly," I scoffed. "Do you think we should talk to her? She seems quite lonely."

"Sure," she said, "We could extend the first hand in friendship," she dramatically stretched her hand in an invisible handshake with the air.

I shook my head, and stood up, "Let's do it then."

"Let's make it look super casual," Darcy said, standing up. I smiled. Darcy had a way of saying 'suuuper' that always made me smile.

"Yes, we'll make it suuuper casual," I said, imitating her and she punched my arm slightly.

"So what are we going to say?" Darcy said.

"Oh honey, just leave the talking to me," I said, flicking my wrist slightly, although honestly, I did not know what to say either, but at that moment, the opportunity presented itself. Elle pencil case fell down.

I ducked down and quickly picked it up, "Elle, you dropped your pencil case."

Elle looked at me, "Oh. Thanks, umm..."

"I'm Tara," I said amicably, "And this is my friend Darcy," I said gesturing at her. Elle waved at her politely.

In an attempt to move the conversation forward, I commented, "Your pencil case is really cute, where's it from?"

She looked down at it briefly, "It's from Paperchase, but I painted all the little flowers on it."

I'm not gonna lie, I was really impressed. "Really? That's so cool. I can barely draw stick figures."