Year 11: Shaped by the clearest blue

Tara's pov

"Oh, bother," Darcy sighed and I followed her sight of vision.

"Why do you even hang out with him?" Harry was saying to his 'best friend' Nick Nelson.

"He's my friend."

Kay walked up beside Darcy and me (Darcy had told me about them while we were walking back to the crowd) and leaned against the wall, watching the drama unfold, "Harry has so much queer energy going on in his party and he is not even aware of it," they said. Beside me, Darcy snorted.

"But why?" Harry asked in a tone that sounded like he was trying to get a reaction out of Nick, "Do you feel sorry for him 'cause he's gay?"

A couple of the boys started laughing.

"Oh, my God, no, wait, wait. Do you think he has a crush on you?"

"This bitch needs to shut the fuck up," Darcy said, fisting her hands. I placed a hand on her arm, "No, Darcy. Don't."

"Oh, my God, how sad," Harry continued.

Nick took a deep breath, "That's homophobic, Harry."

There was a stunned silence.

"Come on, mate," Harry said, suddenly realizing what he had just done.

"And I really don't like you," Nick continued,‌ his face contorted into grimace, "Happy birthday." He turned around and walked through the door in determined steps.

"I actually love him," Darcy said and I laughed.

"Who were they fighting about anyway?" I asked innocently.

"Charlie of course. Told ya the queer vibes are immaculate," Kay straightened up, "Anyway, I think I'll go now."

"Leaving already?" Darcy said, sounding a bit put down.

"Yeah, gotta look out for your little brother," Kay said, smiling at Darcy.

"Look out for George?" I frowned.

"Tell her Darcy," Kay said, "Cheers." They raised their empty cup and walked away.

I looked questioningly at Darcy. She scratched the back of her neck which looked quite incongruent with the dress she was wearing, "Well, Kay said he was at the drag at their place. He didn't tell me anything though."

"I mean, you were at my place maybe that's why he couldn't tell you?" I suggested.

"He has a phone," Darcy said looking down at the floor. She felt betrayed. I took her hand in mine, "Come on let's dance."

We waded our way through the thronged floors. Darcy's hand felt clammy in mine as we finally found the perfect place to loosen up a bit. It was the heart of the party, with lights flashing everywhere and the bass forcing our feet to move on their own accord.

Darcy and me, we couldn't stop laughing as we danced to the music. I had this sudden urge to hold Darcy by the shoulder, so I did, and I did not stop at that, I curled my fingers around the back of her neck and pulled her closer to me. She froze and her eyes met mine. In those blaring lights, her brown eyes appeared a strange shade of the-

...clearest blue
But it's not enough
It's not enough, not enough

She swallowed and raised her hands to my waist.

Holding on tightly to the sides, never quite learning why
You'll meet me, you'll meet me
You'll meet me halfway

"You sure you want this?" she asked. I nodded and quickly pulled her lips to my lips before I changed my mind.