Chapter 18

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.

.
.

.
.

It was in the middle of the night and it was time for the boys and Uzui to report their findings. Tanjiro and Inosuke were on the rooftop of one of the buildings in the district where Inosuke was gushing about his discoveries. Tanjiro had a difficult time understanding the boar boy as Inosuke wasn't describing what he saw in an easy-to-understand fashion. Tanjiro suggested that Inosuke should wait for the others to show up so he can explain his story, but Uzui chimed in from nearby as the man stated, "Zenitsu's not coming." The boys looked to see the man sitting a couple meters away from them, overlooking the empty streets of the district. He had been so quiet that even Inosuke, who was keen on his ability to sense his environment, couldn't pick him up. Uzui continued, "I've made a serious mistake by bringing you boys here, I was in such a rush to find my wives that I overlooked the fact that none of you are Hashira. As a result of this, I've gotten one of you killed and I have no one to blame besides myself. You boys need to get out of here as soon as you can, I've already called for backup. This situation is worse than I could've imagined."

The two boys were horrified by the news, they couldn't believe that Zenitsu was dead. That shouldn't be possible, but then again, there's a lot about this situation they don't understand yet. They attempted to interject but Uzui had already left, leaving the two boys to their own antics as they had to start packing their things and be ready to mobilize. Tanjiro said his goodbyes to the house owner who had known he was a boy but still treated him kindly. It was refreshing for Tanjiro to have someone treat him so nicely, it reminded him of his own mother so he kind of had a soft spot for her. However, he needed to leave, and as he departed, he smelled the presence of a demon from where he had just left. He returned to find the houseowner being consumed by some sort of sash and becoming a part of its essence. Standing in the middle of the room, awaiting Tanjiro's arrival, was Upper Moon 6.

Upper Moon 6 is a young girl with long, black hair with sharp, lime-green eyes and long eyelashes. She has a pink flower tattoo on her face along with flower-patterned knee socks and oiran shoes. Lastly, she wears a very revealing two-piece kimono with a series of various flower patterns on it. She smirked as she felt so proud of herself for consuming the house owner as a demon slayer watched. However, her smirk faded quickly as she realized that Tanjiro was definitely not a Hashira which was her main priority. She commented, "You're not a Hashira, and you're definitely not in charge. Get out of my sight, kid."

Tanjiro felt the same fear he did back when he met Akaza. The Upper Moons all carried a faint trace of Muzan. As a result, the demons tend to smell similar, especially amongst the higher ranking demons. Just remembering Akaza sent shivers down his spine as the boy froze, sword in his hand as he was reliving the emotions he felt that night when Rengoku nearly died. Unfortunately, he wasn't given a moment to react as he was struck by the sash with enough force to blast him out of the room and into the walls of the opposite building.

Follow in Flight by Lipson P., Moore L., Salta T., Trifon B., and White L.

Tanjiro almost got whiplash from that attack, his entire body ached from being slammed into a wall. He was fortunate enough to survive, but the fear started to take over as he was losing control of his breathing. The demon, Daki, emerged from the building to make sure Tanjiro was killed and commented, "Oh? You're still alive? How annoying." The boy looked and didn't see any trace of the houseowner, making his heart sink as he forced himself to sit up and look the demon in the eye. Rengoku's fight with Akaza played out in his mind once more, the way that the demon fought and completely overwhelmed Rengoku was unlike anything he's seen prior. Now he's face to face with an Upper Moon by himself. He sorted through his thoughts and tried to pull himself together and remembered that Rengoku was also a witness to Akaza bringing the Hellwalker to his knees. Despite this, the Hashira charged in with no fear whatsoever. He realized he needed to be strong like Rengoku, no matter what.