Chapter 19: Gloucester Affair

Jeralt and Alwin (the doctor that checked on Byleth) were at the Captain's Quarters.

"Your son is not ready, Jeralt. Perhaps you should tell Rhea about this." Alwin stated.

"You have a point, Alwin." Jeralt nodded. "Perhaps I should write a resignation note for Byleth, but he has grown close to the students and he might be upset."

"I understand that you don't want to ruin all the growth he has done." Alwin sighed. "But when his emotions go astray... he might hurt the students. Perhaps you should talk to him before telling Lady Rhea. But... what about-?"

"Beles can handle herself, Alwin." Jeralt stated. "She won't let the Aelfric situation stop her from teaching these students."

Silence occured. Alwin sighed.

"Think on it more, Jeralt." He said.

"I will." Jeralt nodded and left to do some training.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

The Golden Deer, Balthus and Alfonse were gathered around at the Golden Deer Classroom.

"What scheme do you have in mind, Claude?" Lorenz glares at Claude as if he has something scheme-related.

"Unfortunately, it is not a scheme." Claude states. "It is a very serious problem regarding Houses Gloucester and Reigan and merchant families. It seems that bandits are targeting Merchants that take trading routes from Gloucester to Reigan and vice versa."

"I thought the trade Route from Reigan to Gloucester wasn't affected at all." Lysithea crossed her arms.

"It seems that's not the case..." Ignatz shook his head. "From what Count Gloucester told us, the situation got worse after the accident."

"We cannot let these people keep hurting the travelling Merchant!!" Leonie scowled.

"I have heard that the roads are filled with Monsters..." Marianne said. "Most students do not dare to go."

"Well, we are!" Balthus shouted. "The Well-Informed King of Grappling won't let these bandits hurt the merchants!!"

"Yeah!" Raphael cheered. "Meat party at the finish!"

"Geez, Balthie." Hilda facepalmed. "Do you ever calm down?"

"Is this normal?" Alfonse asked.

"Exactly as Claude says..." Hilda shook her head before clearing her throat. "If you're a Golden Deer, you follow the Golden Deer Energy."

"Anyway." Claude said. "Let's get going."

And so, the Golden Deer class, Balthus and Alfonse ventured off to the base of the bandits.

"Ignatz, Raphael and Lorenz are said to be familiar with the area." Alfonse thought to himself. "Could this be-?"

"Stop right there!!" A voice was heard.

Suddenly, a group of bandits appeared, their weapons raised at the group, who also took out their weapons.

"So you're the bandits that terrorize the merchants travelling through Reigan and Gloucester." Alfonse said.

"What?!" The Bandit leader shouted. "We never terrorized merchants!! We just want our vengance on House Gloucester... especially Count Erwin Fritz Gloucester!!"

"What?!" Lorenz gasped. "You wish vengance against my father?!"

"He threw us away as if we were trash!" One bandit said. "Now it is time for payback... by destroying what is precious to him!!"

"Well, then, we will not let you!" Balthus said as he punched a bandit in the stomach and sent him flying with a kick.

A huge battle ensued. Ignatz had to focused when a girl was heard calling for help.

The girl was a surviving member of the troops sent by Count Gloucester.

"Raphael! Let's go save that girl!" Ignatz turned to Raphael.

"Of course!" Raphael winked. "Leave it to me and my muscles!"

"Be careful, Raphael!" Lysithea warned.

Raphael brawled through bandits as he went to save the girl.

Alfonse was suspicious of her since she was indifferent towards her savior. Even Raphael told her to run, she didn't say thank you.

After a long while, the bandits were defeated and Lorenz captured their leader.

"Tell me... why did you want vengance on Count Gloucester?!" Alfonse pointed Folkvangr at the bandit leader's neck.

"You really do not want to know... especially the unfortunate incident at 1169." The bandit leader spat at Alfonse as he was taken away by House Gloucester's backup soldiers. "Especially you, child of Reigan."

Silence occured as Alfonse turned to Lorenz.

"What did he mean, Lorenz?" Leonie asked.

"I guess you all deserve to know..." Lorenz shook his head. "Apperently, my father had hired mercenaries to keep Gloucester territory safe... however, an envoy of my Father hired them to repel merchants trading from Gloucester to Reigan. The Mercenaries refused, so these Monster attacks started happening... one of these attacks... Duke Godfrey von Reigan, who had the title of Duke Reigan at the time, fought the monsters valiantly, but in vain. He... lost his life... alongside two travelling merchants."

"Godfrey..." Hilda turned to Claude.

"That's true." Claude nodded. "He is actually my uncle on my mother's side. I just learned that in 1179."

"That's unbelievable..." Lysithea shook her head. "And the merchants who lost their lives..."

"That's my Ma and Pa." Raphael nodded.

"My parents... were supposed to accompany Duke Godfrey." Ignatz looked down, not showing any tears. "But they had conflicting schedules, so they asked Raphael's parents to fill in for them... which led Raphael's parents to lose their lives alongside the Duke..."

"Man... that is rough..." Balthus sighed.

"There is no point in talking about it though." Raphael said in a very serious way. "All it does ia bring back painful memories. It is best to forget about it."

"But..." Ignatz was going to speak.

"No buts, Ignatz." Raphael interrupted his friend. "Let's just move on with our lives." Then he smiled his biggest smile of all. "Alright! Meat party, here we come!"

Everyone watches as Raphael walked away.

"I'm surprised someone like Raphael is still optimistic in learning about the truth of the loss of his parents." Leonie shook his head.

"We can respect him for that." Marianne smiled. "He really knows how to keep everyone with high Morale."

"Let us return to the Monastery before Professor Hanneman scolds us." Lorenz nodded.

And so, the Golden Deer, Balthus and Alfonse returned to Garreg Mach Monastery.

The night before the Red Wolf Ended, Byleth was headed to the Audience chamber when Alwim approached him.

"Hello, Byleth." Alwin smiled. "Jeralt wishes to speak with you."

TO BE CONTINUED