♖ 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗦𝗽𝗲𝗰𝗶𝗮𝗹 𝗦𝗻𝗮𝗸𝗲

Montgomery closed the door in front of Mr. Poe, interrupting the banker's futile remarks about the children searching for his help if they needed anything. They knew, from experience, that Mr. Poe would never believe them, so they were more than happy to part ways with him. 

Finally, Dr. Montgomery turned to the children, reassuring them they were safe from Count Olaf's clutches, just as their parents wanted. 

"Actually, Dr. Montgomery..." Violet prepared herself to ask the question that had been on her mind since Mr. Poe told them who their new guardian would be. 

"Monty." The man interrupted, a kind smile on his lips. "Uncle Monty, I hope, once you get used to me." 

"Monty," Violet corrected herself. "Our parents never mentioned you."

The adult seemed surprised by the revelation, brows furrowed as he processed Violet's words. "Really?"

"Really," Klaus replied, still a little unsure about Monty's true intentions. 

"Dr. Montgomery Montgomery? Renowned scientist? Herpetologist?" Monty questioned, expecting them to remember, although the children didn't even blink. "Hmm. That is astonishing."

Alice noticed the hurt expression that briefly took over Monty's usual cheerful expression. "Well, I'm sure they had their reasons." The girl stated, trying to get rid of the tension that took over the room.

Monty threw her a grateful smile before starting to climb up the stairs. "Follow me. Now, your parents and I practically grew up together. I can't believe your parents never told you about me."

Once they reached the upper floor, Monty guided them to a framed picture of a piano, displayed on one of the walls. "I loved them dearly. Look, here's a picture of us." The man stated.

"There's no one in that picture," Klaus observed, giving their new uncle a strange look.

"We're locked inside the piano. Ah, we were so young," Monty explained as a mist covered his dark brown eyes, the kind that only appeared when someone was reminiscing an old memory of a beloved. 

Monty shook his head, getting out of the trance induced by his memories, and turned to the children. "Well, it seems that some proper introductions need to be made. Do you know what herpetology means?" He asked.

"Well, 'ology' always means 'the study of'..." Klaus began to respond, being interrupted by his new guardian.

"Snakes. Snakes, snakes, snakes. That's what I study." Monty revealed while the children looked at him in awe. "I circle the globe in search of a creature who can encircle a globe."

Monty proceeded to tell the orphans about his former assistant, Gustav, who unexpectedly left a letter of resignation earlier that morning, after working for him for so many years.

"Who needs an assistant when I have four charming Baudelaire and Everleigh bambinis to help me with my research?" Monty concluded, smiling at the children as they returned to the lower floor of the house.

"Bambini?" Klaus asked, curiosity sparking in his eyes as it did every time he discovered a new word.

"Bambini. It's Italian for children." Monty clarified, giggling. "Why, I'm so giddy having you here that I might as well be talking gibberish."

"It's okay. We're happy to be here too." Alice stated.

"Now, children, I am about to show you one of the most important scientific collections in the history of the world." Monty declared, conducting the orphans to a corridor with an impossibly locked door.