Seventeen

SEVENTEEN —— KILL THE GIRL, AND LET THE WOMAN BE BORN

106 AC, KING'S LANDING.

An odd sensation is spreading through Morrigan's chest— like it's too fuzzy, her mind moving sloggily. There's a roar in Morrigan's head that's starting to set into numbness— nothing more than a background noise, really. Nothing feels more like background noise. It feels like nothing is happening at all. It feels like this isn't her to begin with.

But it is.

It's her turn now, standing in front of the mirror as her mother is helping her into her wedding gown.

"You look beautiful," her mother says softly as she finishes closing up her dress, resting her hands on Morrigan's shoulders almost carefully. In the mirror, her mother smiles at her, but there's a tinge of sadness in it, too. Her head turns a little to where her sisters are placed all throughout the room. "Doesn't she?"

Cassandra looks up, eyes going from Morrigan to their mother and her lips press together for the briefest of moments— over so fast, you'd barley notice and Morrigan cannot help to think of the argument she'd overheard when they'd arrived a few days ago. She knows Cassandra's words had not been intended for her ears, knows that her mother had shut her down for a reason, knows none of them had known she was near, but still, she cannot help to think of it now.

She doesn't belong her, her sister had hissed, eyes flashing with a fierce temper they'd all inherited in some shape. She doesn't belong with Edmyn Tully. She belongs with us.

Cassandra gives them a smile. "She does." She says.

Ellyn nods quickly, pale hair bobbing with each movement. "Your dress is beautiful, Mor." She says, a dreamy-eyed look on her face as she reaches out, tracing along the train of the dress.

Morrigan supposes she is right— the dress is of a pale blue fabric with a silver sheen over that will make the gown shine a little in the sunlight and, all over the dress, are small white accents of lace. The pearls she wears around her neck— around her throat and over her collarbone— and dangling off her ears are silver.