Twenty-Nine

TWENTY-NINE —— I CAN'T SAVE US

109 AC, KING'S LANDING.

There's a high ringing in Morrigan's ears as she makes her way through the halls of the Red Keep and all she can think is that she needs to get away, get away, get away

She wants to scream. She wants to scream until her voice leaves her, but she is afraid if she opens her mouth she might never stop.

Morrigan feels sick as she rounds the corner, and for the first time in years she yearns for the bedroom she shares with her husband— if only for a sanctuary to crawl into and never come out again and she prays that she will come across none of the residents of the Red Keep that might be so inclined to have role her into a conversation. She thinks she might fall apart if they stop her from reaching that tiny lifeline in her mind.

She's only just past halfway on the endless stretch back to her chambers— not even noticing, really, but following her body like her mind is something hollow, something dead— when she feels a pressure around her wrists and then the world tips, blurs until there's darkness around her for a moment and then, soft light of a torch.

It takes her a long moment to understand that she's been pulled into one of the secret passageways of the Red Keep as she sways a little, trying to adjust to the darkness in the smaller space.

She doesn't even know where in the Red Keep she is, if she's being honest. For a moment, she tries to think back to which hallway she'd been in, but her mind comes up blank. Like someone had taken it from her memory entirely, leaving her disoriented and floating adrift without an anchor.

The thought vanishes from her mind the moment Morrigan looks up and her eyes meet Daemon's.

Something in her chest spasms, throbbing so violently, that for a moment, she is certain she will bend over, curling in on herself from the pain and throwing up. Somewhere, in the back of her mind, the thought echoes that if she peeled away her dress, she must find something bleeding and rotting all the way from her skin to inside her ribcage.