Twenty-Three

TWENTY-THREE —— CAN YOU FEEL MY HEART?

109 AC, KING'S LANDING.

Morrigan takes in a shallow breath as they make their way up the grand staircase towards the throne room, slowly weaving into the crowd of spectators hurrying towards the Great Hall— all of them eager to witness what might happen once Prince Daemon arrives in front of his brother, she's sure.

Smoothing down the skirt of the dress she'd worn for the travel back to King's Landing, Morrigan forces herself to fall into step with everyone else, casting her gaze over the crowd as she does.

By the time they reach the Great Hall, there's a nervous buzz of excitement in the air around them, quiet whispers haunting Morrigan like little ghosts wandering all over her skin, her senses, sending chills down her spine.

She's so caught up in it, she barely notices the familiar head of red curls as she passes the guards posted outside the throne room and a spike of surprise shoots through her. Morrigan comes to a stop, face to face with her husband.

Edmyn bows in front of Rhaenyra. "Princess."

Rhaenyra smiles slightly. "Ser Edmyn."

Morrigan lets her expression soften, relaxing her shoulders a little— hoping it will make the sight she must still make after how poorly she handled the travel back to the city aboard the ship a little less extreme, less jarring.

"Edmyn." She says with a smile, bridging the gap to the Lord Commander of the City Watch and rising on her toes a little to press a kiss on his cheek.

"You're back then," Edmyn says, glancing behind her for a moment as Morrigan motions for Rhaenyra to continue inside without her. "Where's Deran?"

"We just got back. We saw Caraxes make way for King's Landing as we were approaching the harbour." More like Caraxes nearly collided with their ship on his way to the city, Morrigan thinks silently. "Deran is with Rodrik. I thought it best to not toss him into all this turmoil with Prince Daemon's return after the excitement of the visit to Storm's End."