Chapter 2: Lost That Loving Feeling

After orientation, everyone went to their quarters to get cleaned up to go to the bar. I wasn't a huge fan of bars, but that was just because I didn't like to drink. Seeing as there was nothing else for me to do here, I went as well. The bar wasn't massive when I got there, but it wasn't remote either. So it was a relatively reputable size bar. There was deafening music blaring from the speakers and crowds of people everywhere. If you wanted to find a quiet spot to hang out, you wouldn't be able to find any.

For a while, I just hung out by myself by the door. Usually, I love being the center of attention, but lately, I haven't felt the need for it. Then, after a few minutes, one of the guys from class saw me and started walking toward me. I didn't want to be rude, but he didn't seem like a friendly guy.

"So, who might you be?" Said a guy from class.

I shake my head in disapproval; he already has a cocky and disrespectful tone, and the conversation has just started. "My name is G-Force, and who are you?"

"Iceman and this is Slider." He gestures to the guy beside him.

"What's a girl like you doing in the Navy?" Says Slider.

I don't understand why, everywhere I go, I have to answer discriminatory questions like these. It's as if women can't have a life, but I'll be nice.

"I came to follow in my father's footsteps, so please stop being disrespectful. I have the same rights as you two to be here." I state with firmness.

"Dang, I was just asking a question." So says Slider, and he walks away, not wanting to deal with this; however, Iceman stares at me.

"How come you are by yourself? Are you a pilot or a RIO?" Says Iceman.

"I'm a pilot, Iceman, and I can handle my own," I say, getting more irritated by the very second.

"I don't doubt it, but where's your RIO? Because I don't see one." He says almost antagonistically.

I roll my eyes, trying to remain calm and not lash at him. "Back off, Iceman, this is your final warning."

"Fine, but just in case you're wondering who the best is, it's me, so back off, and you won't get hurt." So says Iceman, as we glare at each other down. Then, finally, Iceman dramatically walks away and back to the center of the bar.

I needed a drink after that encounter. I thought this would be fun, but maybe winning that trophy will be more challenging than I thought. I'm used to men being jerks to me, but it doesn't mean it isn't annoying. He's right about the RIO situation; I am at a disadvantage because everyone here can work as a unit, while I'm meeting my new RIO tomorrow with our first challenge. I better start making friends as well, because I don't want to be lonely.

As I was deep in thought, thinking about how to make friends, a guy tapped me on the shoulder.

"Excuse me, miss." I turn around and see another guy grab him.

"Hey, hey, hey."

"Don't worry. I'll take care of this."

I rolled my eyes and turned back to continue drinking my drink in peace, but it did last long because he started singing.

"You never close your eyes anymore

When I kiss your lips

There's no tenderness like before in your fingertips

You're trying hard not to show it."

After trying not to cringe at how out of tune they were, I struggled to keep a straight face. Then every guy in the bar joined in and started singing along.