Chapter 3: The Four-G Negative Dive

Waking up in the morning can be both the best and the worst feeling in the world. It is best when you are not dreaming of anything spectacular, and you get to come back to reality and make it better than your dream; however, it is the worst feeling when you have the most fantastic dream. After all, you never want to wake up because you know your life will never live up to your imagination. Well, this morning was the worst. I had the most fantastic dream ever! Maverick and I were hanging out at the beach together; as cliche as it sounds, it was enjoyable. First, we splashed each other in the beautiful cyan ocean, and then we played an excellent volleyball round on the rough, coarse sand. The best part was that I won the volleyball match and pushed him into the stunning ocean. Sadly that's where this fantasy ends. At four thirty am, my alarm clock started ringing, which signified the end of my dream and the start of reality.

I then took a shower, dressed, and ate my blueberry bagel for breakfast. After that, I cleaned up my mess and hopped in my Jeep; it was my father's Jeep before he passed. Once I got to the hangar, I saw all the pilots scattered throughout the vast room, talking to one another in clicks as if they were still in high school. So I decided to find Maverick since he was my only friend at Top Gun. I mean, are we even friends? I don't know what we are, but I found him and his buddy with a mustache hanging out by the end of the hangar, away from everyone else. I should probably learn his buddy's name now that I think about it.

"Hey, Maverick," I say stupidly. Why did I say it like that? I scolded myself. Maverick then jumps, slightly startled.

"Oh, hello, G-Force." He says, smiling back at me. While it only lasts a second, I swear I could look at that smile forever and never get sick of it. His buddy with a mustache whispers into Maverick's ear.

"Mind introducing me to your friend, Mav?"

"Oh, right! Sorry." He says while struggling to get the right words out of his mouth. He then points to his buddy.

"This here's my RIO and my best friend, Goose." He says, smiling.

Finally, a name to a face! I smile.

"It's nice to officially meet you, Goose. I'm G-Force." I offer my hand to shake, and he returns to do the same. Goose then lets out a chuckle.

"I know. Mav hasn't shut up about you since last night." He says, laughing, obviously throwing Maverick some shade.

Maverick and I contrarily turn our heads in embarrassment to hide the blush on our faces. Before this conversation could get any more awkward, Jester calls everyone to take a seat because it's time for class to begin.

I sat in the front with Maverick and Goose; ever since I started hanging around them, I have felt more and more like myself. I wonder what today's class will be like because if it is anything like orientation, I will be bored out of my mind. Before I could continue my thoughts, Jester began talking.

"Before we begin today, we have another addition to the class; please welcome John Edwards, callsign, Jinx." Jinx then walks down to the back and takes a seat, and Jester continues his speech.

"Now, you'll also be trained and evaluated by a few civilian specialists. The civilians are here because they are our very best source of information on enemy aircraft. One of the most qualified is our T.A.G.R.E.P., callsign, Charlie. She has a Ph. D. in astrophysics, and she's also a civilian contractor, so you do not salute her. But you better listen to her because the Pentagon listens to her about your proficiency. It's all yours, Charlie."

Finally, another woman! I think to myself. I wonder if we could be friends. After all, it would be fun having another female friend with all these guys around.