Chapter 4: The New RIO

When walking down the hallway, I started having second thoughts about Jinx. Maybe he is mean? Perhaps he won't like me. Worst of all, what if we don't work well together? On top of that, this will be my first challenge without Hurricane being with me. At this point, I am incredibly close to the breaking point. When I get to the end of the hallway, I see him talking to Viper, so I stay out of sight and wait for them to finish speaking before I approach Jinx.

Once I see Viper walk out, I approach Jinx.

"Jinx!" I shout, grabbing his attention, resulting in him turning around to face me.

We quickly made awkward eye contact, which increased my uneasiness about this situation.

"Who are you?" He was, with a defensive tone in his voice.

I decided to play it cool and pretend the tone in his voice never happened; we would have to work together whether we liked it or not. In reality, I'm not in the mood for his tone; why couldn't he be more like Maverick or Goose?

"I'm G-Force," I say proudly, extending my hand for him to shake.

He pushes my hand to the side. I scoff; this tells me everything I need to know about him.

"I don't care, I need to find my pilot, so I can start the challenge and win Top Gun," He says dismissively,

I contemplate telling him I'm his pilot or letting him figure it out in a few minutes. I ultimately quickly decided I would let him figure it out. The reason is that he could have a fit in here and not get in trouble for it, versus if we wait till he's out with the planes he can't do otherwise, he will get in trouble.

"Alright, Jinx. I hope you find who you are looking for." I smirk, and he instantly walks away.

With that, I also walk away, smirking. Poor Jinx has no idea what's coming for him, but he deserves it after how he treated me. I then ran to find Maverick and Goose and catch them up with what happened with Jinx and me.

I found Maverick and Goose doing preflight checks for their F-14, which is what I should be doing instead of walking over to them, but I don't care.

"Maverick! Goose!" I call their names to get their attention.

Maverick's head turns way faster than Goose's. He gave me a weird look as if he was trying to read me because he did perfectly.

"G, what is wrong?" He asks, very concerned.

I don't know what made me do it, but I just broke down.

"Mav, my new RIO is a huge jerk. How am I going to win the Top Gun trophy now?" I somewhat quietly vent to Maverick.

"Hey, take deep breaths. Relax, you're an amazing pilot! Even with a bad RIO, you are going to kill it." He reassures me.

I take a few deep breaths, and I; realize how unsteady I am without Hurricane to balance me out.

"I wish Hurricane was with me, Mav. You and Goose remind me of how we used to be, best friends forever until death came and took her away from me." I start tearing up uncontrollably.

Maverick pulls me into a hug, with Goose joining us, making it a three-way hug. That move alone was enough to bring out a little smile.

"G, you are the strongest person I have ever met, and right now, the odds might be stacked against you, but don't give up now; just because you're having troubles with your RIO. Push through for Hurricane, but also you. The sun will shine on you again, I promise." He tells me.

Viper and Jester start shouting at us to get into our planes and prepare for the challenge. I began to walk over to my F-14, but I took one last glance at Maverick, and every time I do fall harder and harder in love with him. When I get to my F-14, I see Jinx waiting for me. This should be fun, I think to myself.