15

The preparations for both the funeral and the coronations were running. Yet, Youngjo had asked Danbi to come to see him. She couldn't say no. He had been staying in the castle where they had met in their teenage years, so she was brought there the next day.

The raven haired male was standing in the familiar lounge. When Danbi entered the said lounge, the guards left the room and let them alone. It seemed abandoned, deserted even, without their parents around. Youngjo turned around and smiled. She uneasily stood beside him, not knowing whether to hug him as a greeting or not. She decided not to, yet they stood close.

"Let's go for a walk, shall we? The walls have ears here."

With that, they left the castle shortly after. It had been just like back then; they walked in silence until warming up to each other's presence again. However, this time Youngjo offered her his arm. She accepted it with a shy smile.

"I hate that awkward silence between us," he sighed "and I know it's my fault."

The female didn't contradict. Instead, she held on tight to his arm.

"I wanted to talk with you. I need you here with me."

"First, I want you to be completely honest with me." She stated.

"That's why I called you here," he started "Perhaps it's too late to confess this, but I didn't intend to marry Minnie of my free will. I wanted to make my father proud as it had been visible that he wouldn't be able to reign much longer. I chose the country over us. And I regretted it. And still do. Truly."

They stopped. Turning their bodies to each other, Youngjo lightly took both of her hands. Birds were chirping in the background as warm sun rays hit their hands. Her eyes were glistening in the warm light as she expected him to continue. He didn't know how.

"I knew that my father would marry me to her sooner or later. Your dad had advised him to do so when I was little because, in this family, everything that had ever mattered was the status, and remaining of our wealthy and popular monarchy. Not the feelings of an individual mattered, only the big public image. I should have warned you."

"I understand, Youngjo. And I am glad that you were able to tell me this now, face to face."

"I knew you would understand, but this doesn't excuse the pain I have brought you," he contradicted "Some years ago, I had been the one to tell you that I wanted to marry for love. Do you remember? I thought about you when I said that. I always had you in my mind, it scared me. Yet, it was my biggest dream. And I crushed that dream all by myself by not standing up to my father's decision, by hurting you."

"Youngjo," her grab became firm "we cannot undo what happened. I am not perfect and I have not been perfect to you either, even if you like to think I am or have been. And I will never be perfect, and neither will you, Youngjo. But that's okay; we're human after all. We make mistakes and learn from them. What I'm trying to say is: I forgive you, love. But most importantly, you need to forgive yourself."

Then, he avoided eye contact, looking down. Danbi's eyes were full of worry and empathy when she saw how that was the weak spot. She raised her hand, gently touched his jaw and turned his head back up to her. Danbi's lips curled up a little. She said,

"Don't you remember? When I told you I'd love you no matter what? Take me by my word."

On the male's mouth, a smile appeared. Without a second thought, he pulled her closer. His hands rested on her delicate waist as her arms rested on his shoulders. Pressing his warm lips on hers, they both closed their eyes.

It was just like their first kiss. For some reason, this seemed even more intimate and intense. As if they hadn't been able to hold each other for decades, longing for each other's lips countless times, their hearts threatened to go crazy. An explosion of emotions was what described it best; a mixture of love, lust, relief and also a bit of bittersweetness was set free. Their hearts were burning, like an eternal flame.

When they parted their lips again, their bodies were still close. The birds above them were chirping as the couple simply stood there, her eyes still closed.

"Danbi," they rested their foreheads on each other's, still only centimetres away "will you marry me?"

Her eyes opened at once. Overwhelmed by the question, she stayed silent only stammering something.

"It's alright, you don't have to answer now."

"No," her voice was firm "I do. Youngjo, I really do."

His heart threatened to jump out of his chest, but at the same time, he felt relieved. With a smile, he pulled her even closer and reconnected their lips.