Four

You walked out of work to find Steve parked out front and leaning on his motorcycle, ankles and arms crossed as he stared at the ground. Butterflies leapt to life in your stomach, and you wondered if that sudden rush of excitement and lust that just seeing him inspired in you would ever fade. Sensing you, he looked up and smiled. Straightening up, he pulled you into his chest the moment you were close enough, covering your mouth with his.

Once he let you breathe, you nibbled on your bottom lip and looked up into his eyes. The smile he gave you didn't quite reach his eyes. Something was making him sad and that made you distressed. Reaching up, you rested your hand on his cheek. "What's wrong, Alpha."

"Just—a rough day, princess."

"How can I make it better?"

Steve sighed, hand coming up to take your hand and bring it to his lips, kissing the palm. "Would you mind if we take a bit of a detour tonight?"

"Detour?"

He rubbed his thumb over the back of your hand. "Yeah, there's someone I want you to meet."

~*~*~*~

You stood a step behind Steve, waiting for whatever conversation between the woman sitting at the table and the hologram was having.

"What he's done here, what he's been doing for the last couple of years. I mean the scene that he left—I gotta tell you there's a part of me that doesn't even wanna find him."

The woman, a delta by her scent, was extremely upset. The acrid smell of her distress felt like it was burning in my nose. "Will you find out where he's going next?"

"Nat?"

"Please?"

"Okay." The image winked out.

She hadn't seemed to notice the two of you yet, as she started to break down. Her hands on her face.

"You know, I'd offer to cook you dinner but you seem pretty miserable already."

The woman sniffled, sighing and looking over. "You here to do your laundry?"

"And to see a friend."

"Clearly, your friend is fine."

Steve walked forward, "You know, we saw a pod of whales on the way over here."

"In the Hudson?"

"There's fewer ships, cleaner water—"

Nat's eyes rolled up to the ceiling. "You know, if you're about to tell me to look on the bright side...um—I'm about to hit you in the head with a peanut butter sandwich."

"Hmm. Sorry. Force of habit." Steve moved forward to sit down, setting his jacket on the table.

"Wait, did you say we?"

"Yeah, I did. I figured maybe it was time you learn why I have been around even less than normal lately."

Nat finally seemed to notice you, her eyes narrowing as you stepped forward. Her eyes flicked between you and Steve several times when you stepped up next to him, leaning against his side when his arm reached out to curl around your waist. He introduced you.

Her eyebrows shot up in surprise. "You claimed an omega? I didn't even know you were looking for an omega."

For some reason, her tone made you bristle. Steve felt it, his fingers stroking against your hip, intending to soothe. He lifted a shoulder, glancing at you before looking back at Nat. "I wasn't looking for one. We just—happened."