iv. Rain

I'M HIDING IN THE RAINALWAYS SMILING

ALWAYS SMILING

"EARTH TO WONWOO."

The monotone voice of Wonwoo's best friend shook him out of his trance as he straightened up on a bar stool of Red Lights', seeing May cock her eyebrow at the daydreaming boy.

"Did you say something?" Wonwoo asked, his voice delicate and innocent, only making May scowl at him. She threw her towel over her shoulder, leaning on the empty bar, mirroring every night Wonwoo stayed after closing with her.

"Thought I'd have to splash water in your face, but I would ruin your makeup," she huffed. "I asked you if you knew what Mingyu's doing tonight. Usually he comes on nights like these, and it's Tuesday, so his night class should be over, right?"

Mingyu. Wonwoo could feel his stomach churn at the reminder of the boy and the profound realization he had reached a few days before. The shared look of somewhat determination and competition that set their friendship in an awkward state. It had been days since May's fever, having felt better after Wonwoo and Mingyu's home remedies, never realizing the reason why the two really came, or why the two were acting as complete strangers since.

"Maybe he's busy with schoolwork," Wonwoo meekly shrugged, fingers slithering around a shot glass to gulp down, the soju sliding down his throat as if it were water. Having built up his alcohol tolerance for years—some may argue it was because of his constant visits to May's workplace—his temples were barely abuzz, despite drinking nearly two bottles of soju. "Editing that movie of yours—project, sorry."

May let out a scoff after promptly cleaning the last nooks and cracks of the bar, the only dish left being the very glass held in Wonwoo's hand. "Could you hurry up and stop drinking? That glass is the last thing I have to clean, and it's making me hungry too, but I can't drink on the job, you blasted demon."

"You're hungry? You haven't eaten?" Wonwoo rose his eyebrows, immediately sliding the empty glass over to her upon hearing her whines.

"No, I didn't have time before work because I had to work on a group project. One of my partners was following me around campus to talk about the project, but it only led to him asking for my number."

"For... the project?" Wonwoo couldn't help but feel possessive, even if May wasn't his. Knowing that she often caught the eyes of many of his classmates was normal for him—but suddenly, he hated it, as though those eyes didn't deserve to peer at her.

"Maybe, maybe not," she said, before a hint of a smirk appeared on her lips. "Why, does he need to run through your approval first?"

Wonwoo fixed the cuffs of his white dress shirt, one of many in his color-coded fancy wardrobe that he took pride in. "Not exactly," he answered casually, though his eyes couldn't seem to meet hers, and this she noticed.