001 | Ain't this what they've been waiting for?

"When you let go of who you used to be

"When you let go of who you used to be. You are becoming who you are supposed to be."
                                                - Unknown

Do you know that saying that high school will be the best four years of your life? Well, that's bullshit

College is where it's at and not just any college either.

It is at an HBCU.

...

Barreling down the I-95 in my blue 2008 Honda Civic with my brother and reluctant parents in tow I finally reach the state line of Delaware. The hot August sun beams through the windows and onto my skin a sepia, reddish brown. I can feel the sweat form along the edges of my braided ponytail as I look for a sign for the nearest rest stop.

Which I found was just shy of three miles away and in the vicinity of a Target. Perfect for last minute shopping so I
drive full steam ahead.

In T- minus one hour the life I know will change, a thought that brings with it excitement and anxiety.

What if I made the wrong choice? Choosing Dubois over Columbia was an easy decision. I had no interest in going there but the consequences of that decision were major.

My parents Jennifer and David Campbell went to City Tech. It's where they met. My mom studied nursing and my dad information science. They sacrificed a lot when they had me in their early 20s. My dad dropped out and got a job assisting a mechanic while putting himself through trade school to become one himself giving up his dream of becoming an engineer. My mom worked night shifts at our local hospital's trauma center, in rain, sleet, or snow she was there.

My parents' dedication to their jobs meant the downfall of their marriage and having my younger brother didn't do much to help the situation. By the time I turned 8, they couldn't even stand to be in the same room as each other. Their only comfort was in the life they meticulously planned for me which I had every intention of living until I met Desean. An artist, a player, and the father of my two-year-old baby girl.