002 | Freshman Year Bitches!

" Education is that whole system of human training within and without the school house walls, which molds and develops men

" Education is that whole system of human training within and without the school house walls, which molds and develops men."
                                              - W. E. B. Dubois

First days anywhere are nerve-wracking but a first day at a new school, in a new state is so much harder especially if that school is an hbcu

But like with any school you want to make a good impression.

This is why my roommate Miko and I are up at the ass crack of dawn sifting through piles of clothes just looking for the right one.

" Should I wear these?" my roommate says holding up the ugliest pair of pants I've ever seen "I'm looking for something that says I'm a cool, artsy girl but you should still take me seriously, you know?"

"Don't wear those," I insist

" What about this?" I ask pulling a nude suit jacket embroidered with flowers out from underneath the rubble

" Yes, yes yes!" She exclaims " Now I just have to find the matching pants,"

" Great!" I say " Now what should I wear?"

" Damn girl all you have is sweaters!" Miko exclaims in a mix of shock and horror

" We have to plan a shopping trip" she sighs " But for now this one. It's giving badass future lawyer," she sings throwing a maroon sweater my way

It reads " Do we STILL hold these truths to be self-evident; that all men are created equal...or NAH?"

I quickly pair it with some jeans and some gold jewelry before moving on to my next challenge styling my hair which thanks to my aunt Faith had been transformed from last week's braided ponytail to boho knotless braids.

They looked fine but could be better, and after trying everything from ponies to Bantu knots I settled on a half up half down look, smoothed down flyaways with some moose, and styled my baby hairs. Reviewing my schedule once more before putting it, my laptop, and a few pens into my black telfar and heading to the dining hall.