Chapter 09

Vanessa looked at the clock for what felt like the hundredth time already

Vanessa looked at the clock for what felt like the hundredth time already. Her thoughts of the date last night kept her occupied until she couldn't keep her eyes open anymore. But a couple hours later, Vanessa woke up to the reminder that today she had absolutely nothing to do.

She was just thankful that she was able to get some sleep without a terrifying nightmare. It was rare these days when she would lie down and not wake up with crippling fear. She allowed herself to rest in bed for a few more hours after she had awoken, but once her eyes started feeling heavy again, she made herself get up and make some coffee.

The water spit into the mug below, sending an annoying noise through the apartment. Vanessa made a mental note to clean her Keurig before it got too dirty. Maybe that was something she could do today? Vanessa grabbed the mug, removed the k-cup and discarded it. She took a seat in the blue chair. She watched the other windows, searching for any sign of life in the other apartments.

It didn't take long for Vanessa to settle in, just enough to doze off. As soon as she shut her eyes, the images started in her head.

"Vanessa?" She heard her name in the distance. The voice sounded familiar, almost like she'd just heard it. She tried to focus, to pick out why it seemed so comforting to her.

"Vanessa, I'm over here." The voice drifted through the air in a masculine dance. Vanessa felt herself leaning into the sound, enjoying the noise. Her feet slid across the floor as she closed the distance between the voice and her.