Conflict Resolution

There he sat. 

The enemy.

Harry had not known it for most of the year, but this young boy staring at him from across the room had made his life miserable for the last few months. He had tried to take everything he loved and cared about away, he had made threats against him and his love. He had almost succeeded. Almost.

"I know James, I know everything."

"I'm disappointed in you Hermione.  I had hoped you would know better by now, and I had hoped it wouldn't have to come to this. But no matter, I will clean up your mess, and finally, we will be free to love each other without barriers or distractions."

"Shut up!" Harry snarled at him, "How dare you speak to her that way, you aren't even worthy of your name!"

"Please, your father was weak and useless, he had no right bearing such a great name and becoming such a failure. At least my life will be worth something, and with Hermione by my side, I will be unstoppable."

"That is never going to happen," Hermione whispered.

"Are you sure about that?"

"Yes. I love Harry, I always have, and I would rather die than be with you!"

"Fine! Let's see how you feel after I prove to you, I am the better wizard, the better man!"

At that moment, the world slowed. Harry had been here before, he had died once before already, and he knew what it felt like. He also knew what it felt like milliseconds before that curse was cast. As time slowed, Harry reacted the only way he could. He saw the wand emerge from James' cloak, and he immediately shoved Hermione away. In an instant, as he heard the scream of the incantation, he flicked his wand, and three desks flew in front of him. The blast of green bounced off the desks. In an instant, Harry was on offense, fueled by rage and adrenaline. Still, the world seemed to move in slow motion, allowing him to notice everything and gain the advantage. He sent curse after curse towards his enemy who appeared frightened for the first time as he desperately cast shield charms to block the incoming spells. As Harry took a step forward, James took two steps back.  

Harry was a whirlwind, rushing winds began to surround him as he pursued his enemy, determined to wipe this foe from the face of the earth. Blue, green, and red spells flew from his wand, electricity shooting from him. 

However, in his offense, he had forgotten about Hermione behind him. James added a new swish and flick motion of his wand, and Harry had a momentary pause, trying to decipher what spell he had cast. As he raised his wand, he heard an odd screech behind him.

"CRUCIO!"

Suddenly everything was on fire. His body, his muscles, and his mind felt like they were on fire. He knew he was on the ground, seizing, screaming, and yet he could not stop himself. He could no longer control himself. He looked up to see Hermione above him, with the dreamlike look in her eyes again.

He had done it again! She was under the imperius curse once more and had cursed Harry! At that moment, he knew. She was going to kill him, and there was nothing either one of them could do about it.

"Crucio!"

Once again, everything was on fire, and now Harry was borderline unconscious. He writhed on the floor in agony, begging for the pain to stop. Tears were streaming down his face, and for a moment, a brief moment, he wished for the end. He wished for anything, even death to end this unbearable pain. This was it, he had lost, and he was going to die at the hands of the love of his life. 

Once the pain had abated slightly, James came into view. 

"I told you I would kill him. It's okay Harry, you did very well, but you forgot about my girl. Having her kill you should solidify my hold on her. Soon I won't need the Imperius curse anymore. With you gone, she will love me forever."

 He looked up at Hermione, lust in his eyes, "Do it."

Hermione looked down at Harry. Before her eyes played every memory, she had of him. That moment at the Ministry when she first felt her love for him, their first kiss, the first date, every victory, every defeat. She looked up at her master, and his eyes met hers. He repeated his command.

"Do. It."

Hermione looked down once more.

"Avada Kedavra!"

-------------------------------

One of these days, I'm going to stop with the cliff hangers............... but today is not that day!