Chapter 8 - Blood on the Dance Floor

I sat on the roof of Lucy's apartment, being hammered by the rain. Once that kid, David, was knocked out, I decided to get out of everyone's way and wait for this all to blow over. The view from her apartment was nice, real nice. I can understand why she kept her personal life so under wrap. I would sit up here all night with a cold beer and watch the world pass me by.

It reminds me of the view from my apartment. Well, my old apartment. Stretching, I yawned, getting ready to call it a night; Maine and Pilar had this under control. At least that would have been the plan until I heard my phone ring.

Taking it out, I looked at the unknown number, confused. "Now what? Hello?" 

"I am speaking to Y/N L/N, am I not? So I do have the correct number?"

"It's just Y/N. Who is this?"

"Ahh, Kanzen, kanzen. My name is Kumi Suzuki; I was hoping to discuss a possible job for you."

Leaning back, I was confused by this but slightly intrigued. "What kind of job are we talking about here? I'm usually not the one to call over this; I can send your number to my boss Maine if you'd like?"

"No, no. I beg of you; I was told you were the best possible person for the job. Low key, and without any cybernetics to speak of."

"Says who?"

"I got this number from Dexter Deshaw; he told me you were the best man for the job."

"Good old Dex... I don't know, I don't want to sound rude or anything, but I'm not really in the business of helping others right now, I'll pass your number onto Maine, and he can take a look into it."

"Tomaru! Please, listen; I promise you I'll make it worthwhile. It's about my daughter; she needs your help."

I contemplated the matter letting rain run down my face before licking my lips. "I'll hear you out; what's wrong with your daughter?"

"Not on the phone; I wish to speak to you in person. Do you know the ramen shop in Japantown?"

"Yeah, I know of the place; I got my wallet stolen there."

"Good, I mean, not that. I shall meet you there; please hurry."

Kumi hung up, making me sigh. I really should have just said no. Standing up, I began climbing the stairs and stepping back into Lucy's apartment, finding everyone gone. "Oh, what did I miss?"

"You're still here?" Lucy said, surprised, stepping out of her bedroom. "Long story, Maine let David off."

"Starting to see a running theme here, so what if he just let the guy go with his eddies worth of gear?"

Lucy shook her head taking out a smoke. "No, he let David work for us. From what I heard, give him a try as he did you."

"Well, look at that, good old Saint Nick is just letting in every damaged kid off the street. What a gentleman." I scoff, walking for the door. "I'll get out of your hair, got business of my own to attend to. Might I say that view from your roof? Wow."

"Yeah, I get that. Night Y/N."

"See ya." Stepping out of the apartment, I flipped my sidearm around, looking at my phone. "Let's get this shit over and done with."

****

Japantown is where people come to escape from the stresses of this shit hole only to come to a bigger one. I never liked Japantown from the moment I passed by; each experience was worse than the last.

Gang violence, off-brand BDs, hookers and among other fucked up things. No one in their right mind wants to end up in Japantown, let alone live in it.

Passing through the market, I kept my hands deep in my pockets over the top music really not matching the atmosphere. Then, slowly approaching the ramen shop, I stepped in, glancing around. Right off the bat, I noticed one man acting strange; he was far off in the back of the shop, constantly looking around and shaking.