Chapter 9 - Gangsta's Paradise

Something was wrong.

Is something going to be wrong?

It's all gone to shit.

It's happening soon. It's already happened. 

He's dead; he's dying. I'm next. I'm already dead.

I'm alive; I'm still standing.

I need to wake up.

I found myself standing in an alleyway just around the corner of Turbo's Diner. Everything felt surreal, as if it was nothing more than a lucid dream. Moving my hands over my face, I noticed my clothes and arms were covered in dried blood. My ring finger on the right hand was missing, and there was a pair of scissors in my left leg wedged in deep. Even so, I felt none of it. Whether it was catching up with me or none of this is real.

Who knows? I began limping out of the alleyway stepping into the pathway and pulling the scissors from my leg; fresh blood oozed down my trousers, ruining them. I looked at the scissors throwing them aside and placing my hands in my pockets. That's when I discovered a large amount of bloody cash in my pockets. Rolled up, there must have been at least 50k.

It took me a moment before I realised. "Oh. The job, right? I should share the earnings with the others."

David sat on one of the cars holding a beer, debating whether to drink it or not. He felt out of place but was still thankful everything played out in the end. Finally, Maine approached him, shaking his head. "Everything that could have gone wrong did so under your watch David. But in the end, you made up for it. Our last recruit messed up just as much, to be fair, so you're in the same boat as him."

"Y/N, right? I haven't seen him today. Was he meant to be helping with the mission?"

Maine paused, frowning. "Who knows? It doesn't matter; I'm sure he had more pressing matters to attend to."

"Yo, yo, it's lady luck himself! Y/N's here." Rebecca shouted out, gulping her drink down.

"Bout time." Maine turned away, flinching. "What the fuck?"

Jumping over the bench, I approached everyone, waving half-heartedly. "Evening, I'm dying for a drink; anyone got anything."

Maine and the others approached, looking concerned for whatever reason. "What the fuck happened to you?!"

"What?" I shrug off. "Is there something on my face?"

"You look like you took part in a vampire rave." Pilar howled with laughter. "It suits you."

"Thanks?"

"Where have you been? We've all been trying to contact you!" Rebecca barked, pressing her gun into my face. "You look like a walking corpse!"

"Didn't I tell you all? Shit, how stupid of me." I laugh off. "I had a job come through last night? Yeah, it was last night. Super simple job; some shitty father was worried his daughter was being snatched away with the wrong crowd. I did the job as requested, but he wasn't happy. Not in the slightest; I brought the daughter back in pieces; it wasn't my fault she had been through a rock and a hard place."

"Y/N, you're literally making no sense right now." Pilar pointed out.

Groaning, I rolled my eyes. "Jesus, do I have to spell it out for you? I did a job; the client was a cunt and wouldn't pay. We came to an arrangement that was to die for, and I got paid. Here."

Taking a large roll of eddies, I dropped them in Maine's hand, nodding. Then, looking at the blood money, he put it away. "Thanks, Rebecca, help Y/N clean up."